More ideas for natural cold care?

My 18mo daughter has a cold:( it's simple common cold- runny nose, watery eyes, a bit of a cough, cranky, etc. I have been giving her tea from the herbalist, pushing fluids, honey for cough, and giving yoghurt for the probiotics. Is there anything else I could do? I give her supplements on a daily basis and have a good supply of herbs in the house if anyone knows of anything else, I would be very grateful!

Ravensong

Asked by Ravensong at 10:12 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Are you giving her Buckwheat honey (or another dark variety)? That's the best for helping a cold go away. It actually has properties that kill off the virus in addition to soothing the cough, but it has to be raw, unfiltered honey so the enzymes are intact. You probably already know this, but just wanted to make sure.

What I do for my kids when they are sick is I make them a "sick buddy." I put about a cup of uncooked rice in a large sock and add several drops of eucalyptus oil and lavender oil, then tie it off. I stick tissues in the open part of the sock (the ankle part) and you can even decorate a face onto it. They sleep with it and breathe in the essential oils which help them breathe better (kind of like Vicks, but safe). It's one of those things that medically probably doesn't do all that much, but it cheers them up and makes me feel like I'm less helpless. I hope she feels better soon!
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 9:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• keep and eye and see if milk makes her symptoms worse, ...

fresh lemon juice in water with a bit of honey...chamomile tea...licorice root tea it soothes irritated throat and relieves coughing

potato peeling broth,boil for 20-30 min ;strain cool and drink,make it fresh every time (this is rich in potassium) use it as many times you want.

annyPG

Answer by annyPG at 10:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Thanks for answering:D She doesn't eat any dairy( which gave her the runny nose etc before). I'm fairly certain she has what I had earlier this week. It went away pretty fast but I felt awful for 24 hrs.
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 11:15 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Is the yoghurt you are giving her non-dairy? It could be seasonal allergies. August & September are the worst months
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• yup, it's soy too. She gets allergies but the tea we have usually makes them go away fast. I'm fairly certain it's the same thing I had the other day.
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 11:40 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Oh, and also, I'm a firm believer in saline nasal spray, if she'll let you. It clears up their little heads and makes them feel so much better, and there aren't any bad chemicals or side effects. I use Little Remedes. My three year old once fought it so hard he threw up, so it doesn't work for him anymore. But sometimes it's easier on younger kids, so it's worth a shot.
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 10:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• wow, That's a really good idea and cute too! Sick buddy:) The honey is not raw, it's local clover honey I bought a little while ago more to try and combat allergies, I'll run to our co-op and get what you suggested though! I managed to get saline spray in one nostril twice today before she had enough with that! It seems to have spread more into her chest now that it's night time.. I hear her coughing a bit in bed and whimpering so I think I'll try out the buddy if she wakes up. Thanks for the great advice!
    Ravensong

Answer by Ravensong at 10:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2009