When do you turn the heat on?

So it's 57 and rainy today, and we are all sick. So I decided to turn the heat on a little... well a lot, it's on 70. It doesn't really mess with my gas bill too much though because my house is very well insulated and the heat only kicks on about 3 times a day.

How cold does it have to be for you turn on the heat? What temp do you leave it on? Do you try to not use it, for the sake of the gas bill?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Well living in Louisiana I dont use a heater at all the coldest it gets here is like 60 and its not windy or anything I can remember calling my nanny for xmas and I was in a tank top and she was snowed in, she lived in Chicago. So it has to be atleats 50 below for me to run a heater. and even then I always have the fans on. I am always hott.
    ggiovanni

Answer by ggiovanni at 10:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• We usually turn it on late Oct-mid Nov. It usually has to be in the low 50s for several days in a row before we turn the heat on. Usually it's when we're all bundled up in sweaters and stuff in the house and we're still shivering. Then we finally give in and light the furnace. In this house we usually keep the heat around 68 until it gets really cold then I might push it up to 72. It's hard to keep this house warm at all.
    When we lived in our apt. in PA we kept the heat at 60F no matter what the temp was outside. And when it's 10 below outside 60 degrees feels like it is freezing. We had to bundle up in coats inside many times but if we raised it even a couple degrees we couldn't afford the gas bill. There were times I could see my breath in the kitchen and my fingers and toes were always numb. Fun times.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• We dont use the heat unless it gets below 50
    It doesnt get old in here about 50
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I might be a wimp, but I hate being cold! that is why we want to move farther south. Most likely N.C. When the indoor temp. gets to 60 degr. I start thinking we should have heat. Especially for the little ones. Our house is very hard to keep warm, so we usually keep the temp. to 68 to help keep the bill down. Right now our furnace isn't working, or I would have the heat turned on. We have a small electric heater I am using to help take the chill off. It was 58 in here the last 2 mornings. I hate having to bundle up in the house. It is hard to stay cheerful if my nose and feet are freezing. It feels so sloppy to go around in thick layers & bedroom slippers. When we go to other peoples houses, we are always hot, because they have their temp.up to about 75 b/c of wood stoves etc.
    RuthsPlace

Answer by RuthsPlace at 10:55 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• For us it's when the weather starts to be consistently under 60 degrs; so sometime late Oct early Nov. We have a energy efficient thermostat so we set it and it won't turn on unless the house temp dips below that setting.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:03 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I liv e in NE Ohio, right on the shores of Lake Erie, and I TRY to hold out until Nov. 1st but last year I cracked on 10/28. We don't have small children here so we can tough it out. I won't turn it on until it gets to mid-60's IN the house and that takes a lot because the house is well insulated. I think it was in the 40's outside when I finally snapped last year. I am hoping to hold out until 11/1 this year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well, we live in Texas, so we still have our ac going these days....But, I will set my heater for 68 degrees in the winter months, even though it hardly ever comes on, because it doesn't really get that cold here.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 11:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Very rarely, where I live is warm year round.
    JuliaW

Answer by JuliaW at 12:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Got to be in the fifties, like low fifties, otherwise, I just bundle us up. We can't afford the gas and all, so we just dress really warmly. When dd is sick though, I run a space heater in the living room and keep her in there.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 1:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My house is zoned so each room gets heat at different times. The kids rooms has had heat for about a week now. When the night time temps dip below 40, I turn the heat on for the kids rooms only. The living room, bath room, computer room and family room get heat around the mid part of October. I never turn the heat on in the kitchen b/c my cooking heats it up enough.
    Now my dh and I fight over when our bed room will get heat. lol I don't want heat until December, he wants heat now. lol
    We live in New York and I LOVE the cold. I can't wait for snow.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 1:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2009