15 mos old woke up sick. Need advice.

My DS had been sneezing and a bit of a dry cough the past 2 days. Around 2 am I heard him coughing but it was hoarse (not croup, he's had that b4) and now, at 7am, sounds like he has flem. He also has a runny nose with clear mucus. That also started overnight. When I heard his cough I put on the humidifier.

Any advice on how else I can help him? I'm waiting for the on-call dr to call me back but would appreciate some moms advice.

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 10:35 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Keep him hydrated and let the cold run it's course. Skip the Benadryl, it will just make him drowsy.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:37 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• bynadryl.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:03 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Dr said as long as he's drinking fluids, urinating almost normal n no fever (no respiratory distress) then like u said, let it run its course
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Sounds like it could be allergies too, especially if what's running out of his nose is clear. Unfortunately children's allergy meds aren't meant for under 2, unless a doctor says to use them and gives you a dosage. Just throwing that out there, it is that time of year and my family all suffers from seasonal allergies - sounds just like what we go through every spring & fall.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009