Can WIC force you to come in with your newborn baby?

If you have no way to drive to WIC. Your pediatrition tells you no going out in public. Do they have the right to force you to come in?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, if you want your checks, you must go in there. No one can force you to do anything, but they can also refuse their services if you do not do as they ask.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Change your appointment, let them know you had to take baby to the doctor for a sick visit and want to reschedule when your baby is well.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 10:51 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• call them and explain your problem...my friend did that and they mailed her the vouchers...
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 10:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• NO, they cannot force you to bring in a child, especially if your doctor has told you not to bring the baby out in public. WIC things they are gods and can demand parents do whatever they want. They also cannot make you have your child's lead level tested at WIC. I had it done at the doctor's office and brought the results with me because the WIC office traumatized my son everytime they touched him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:14 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Normally the only reason they want you to come in is proof that you have had the baby, and to reload your card with the right stuff that the baby needs such as formula. I am do in Feb and I am very hesitant about taking my new born baby out... But definetly call them and explain your situation. Good Luck
    YoungMomToBe29

Answer by YoungMomToBe29 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Idk, but my pedi never said to not ake my baby out. Babies need to get out and develop immunity. If your taking him to the doctor, then y cant you take him to wic. Also, if your planning on having your baby get shots, they will most likely happen at the wic office. I would be thankful for wic, and make sure they know how much you apperciate them!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i think for the first appointment you have to bring the baby to prove that you really have a baby...and also bring ss cards and birth certificate...a lot people try to scam them...if it's not your first appointment then i don't think they can force you to come...and also your baby needs to get out of the house, unless he/she has some sort of illness where they can't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Unless your newborn is ill, there's no reason why you can't take him outside. WIC can't force you to do anything, but they can refuse to give you your food package. For the first appt, you must bring in the baby.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• have one of ur proxies go for u
    aidensmama8

Answer by aidensmama8 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Here for the first appointment you have to bring the baby in with you but after that, you can go get the checks by yourself and will only need to bring the baby in again at 1yr and every 6mo after that for re-certification.
    mlg87ok

Answer by mlg87ok at 4:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009