what to do when he cant poop?

my son has problems going. it is always very hard and it seems it doesnt want to come out this time and he is in pain and crying. can someone help?

ps he is only 8 weeks old

AlexesmommySam

Asked by AlexesmommySam at 10:56 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Apple Juice, give him 3 ozs and see what happens later on. Or Pear Juice, don't dilute.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:10 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My cousins doctor told her to give her daughter 2 oz of water after every feeding and it worked. My sons doc had me make a cup of weak tea, let it cool to room temp and give it to him in a bottle. That helped too. Talk to your child's doctor about what you can do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:15 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• What's his diet?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• formula! he gets enflamil regular to fill him up, against gas and bed time formula
    AlexesmommySam

Answer by AlexesmommySam at 11:32 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i know i was told here many times not to give my baby karo syrup but my daughters doctor actually prescribed it to her when she was that little because i struggled with the same issue, i think that formula is causing it, try to change his formula,but talk to your doctor about which one would be the best for him, you can ask your doctor about karo and see what he says,every doctor is different . my daughter's pediatrician told me to give one tablespoon of dark karo with one oz of water once a day to help with constipation,GL momma i know it is really hard for you right now it is frustrating. congrats on your little bundle!
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 12:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• As the PP said she has heard time and time again not to use Karo BUT .... there is no BUT to that. Karo can harbor botulism which is deadly in infants. Karo is not worth the risk that it poses and many are trying to get the older doctors to stop prescribing or recommending Karo.

Formula is often very binding and causes stomach discomfort. Baby's body was made to digest breastmilk and when a different substance is introduced it is going to be hard for baby's body to digest and expel. Be careful with some 'helpers' because at such a young age baby is still learning how to expel waste properly. Have you ever considered relactating to eliminate baby's discomfort?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• if he is formula fed SWITCH TO A DIFFERENT FORMULA...as of right now i would give him a tea spoon of prune juice in his bottle mixed with formula or water, massage his belly, and push his legs up and down like a frog...keep him upright so it's easier for the poo to come out
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• There is no formula that will help. Infants aren't made to digest formula. You will just have to wait it out and he will just have to go through the constipation and pain. 8 weeks is still very young. You should help him latch to the breast and get harmless breast milk instead. Rub his tummy and try different positions. But do NOT change formulas as that will only be harder on his belly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i gave my daughter a little pear juice. try about 3-4oz NO MORE THAN 4 though. it helped her and it was easier on her belly than apple juice. oh, and make sure you water the juice down about half and half.
    piercedbeauty21

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I would love to have breastfed him longer then 2 weeks the problem was I dried out and had to switch to formula. he had formula sofar his whole life. I tried the apple juice and he has finally gone poop but it was very hard. just really need him to sleep tonight! he barely slept last night and during the day. rubbing belly hasn't worked ether.
    AlexesmommySam

Answer by AlexesmommySam at 9:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2009