foster care

So me and my DH are thinking about opening are homes to foster care children, but we don't know were to start can anyone help us .........................

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Contact your local child protective services and see when the next orientation is. Your state should have a website as well. Can you tell me what state you are in and I can look for you?

We signed up thru our local CPS, they offered training every 3 months for 10 weeks. I have heard that some states have classes just on weekends.

Do you already have children in your home? You will probably be advised to only take children younger than your own. Some children have experienced major abuses (physical, sexual, and mental) and they my try to harm a younger child. (Learned that big people hurt little people.) So if you do have children, they come first. If you don't keep your marriage strong and healthy, the stress of all that comes with foster care can tear your own family apart. These are things that if you know going into it "eyes wide open" that you can guard yourselves against. It's wonderful to be able to help children.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:09 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Contact your local social service agency. They will provide you with the forms & neccessary steps to become a foster home.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Az is were we live...thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Contact your local Foster Parent agency and they will help you out. You have to go through background checks, house visits (both scheduled and unscheduled), and orientation and foster parenting classes. You can also check with CPS and they will be able to lead you in the right direction.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:43 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Contact your local Department of Social Services. Make sure this is something you are sure you want to do. It's a very rewarding yet very hard thing to do. Thankfully out of the 3 we fostered we got to adopt a sibling group of 2. Foster parents are amazing people IMO. :)
    LuvOurFamily

Answer by LuvOurFamily at 7:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2009