Do you honestly respect the person on here more if they

don't use the ANON button and you can see their avatar? Do you in fact find yourself open to the person and what they have to say more even if it happens to go against what you believe simply because they don't hit the ANON button?

I've seen women here resort to mocking one another with and without the use of their screen names so I find it a little less convincing when someone says to ANON "why don't you use your SN so we can see who we're really talking to" as if you're all of a sudden going to be like "oh, so-n-so it was you all along, while I might not agree with you I can appreciate your sentiments".

Does it really matter one way or the other if you know who you're talking to; especially when knowing who you're talking to won't change what or how you feel about something?

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:21 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's more respectful to show yourself, you don't mind answering and letting your opinions be known then why not show yourself. Now if you are responding or telling something embarrassing then yeah I'd use ANON.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:30 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Nope. The only thing using your avatar does for me is help me choose a winner once the question is answered, because I cannot justify choosing an ANON, since they get no credit. Otherwise, ANON is just fine with me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I have used anon when asking an embarassing question haha or something like that. But as far as answers go, I totally agree. People just say rude things to cause drama then hide who they are. It gets really old and very annoying. I dont mind if someone disagrees with me, but why hide behind it?
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think some people feel that way. I don't bother asking anon's go come out of hiding. They don't anyhow, at least not admittedly (perhaps posting under SN and anon separately).

Some anon's have good points, but I would say more times than not the anon button is used to engage argument as opposed to inciting debate. The way I see it, if you really feel that passionately about what you are saying, why can't you do it with your name?

That said, I won't pick anonymous replies for best answer when I ask a question.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:27 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Sorry, that should have read 'inciting argument as opposed to engaging debate'.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:29 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It's not a question of respecting one more than the other, it's more that I don't take an anon answer seriously.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:33 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I find it totally possible to believe (especially in the P & CE section) that say someone is responding to a post and that said person can usually be found on the opposite side of the fence so to speak; that when they actually agree with something they tend to go ANON due to not wanting to be seen as agree/disagree with something they would normally be suspected otherwise.

Say if I am a one who would normally identify myself as a liberal(or vice versa) or most of my view lean that way and I'm quite vocal in support but something comes along that I actually can take more of a conservative or opposing view on I might respond but I do so under the guise of the mythical ANON button. Most will say they do nothing of the kind but lately I've seen some responses where I get the impression this scenario may happen more often than we might think.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:36 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Anon has used the little blue button to be a bully....and that is abusing the system against those of us who can say what we need to say without hiding.....Anons hide because they like to sprue bad things to say at you and then run away with their little tails between their legs....and little bully blue anons can and will be reported when they are abusive to others here.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 11:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• NP - then perhaps you'll answer me this. If you don't take ANON questions/answers seriously do you respond to them? If something to me is serious I take the time out to deal with or handle them; if I do not then I don't give them any consideration. Do you find yourself totally ignoring ANONS here?
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 11:39 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Do you find yourself totally ignoring ANONS here?

No, they can be quite entertaining. I don't take Fringe seriously either, but I watch it every week.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009