Is it bad to give a 4 year old tuna?

My son loves tunafish and I'm aware of the mercury it contains. I was told by another mom not to let him eat tuna because his brain is developing. He only eats a handful of foods do I really have to remove tuna from his diet?

gJCsnap

Asked by gJCsnap at 11:23 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Food & Drink

• talk to his doctor ,but i think its heathly
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 11:25 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I have never heard of such a thing. My kids starting eating it when they were about 1 1/2 and to my knowledge, their brain developed just fine. People worry too much these days. I tend to look at what they did in the older days (you know the people that are living to be 99 and 100?)) REMEMBER them?? They must have done something right.. and I bet worrying about every little thing was not one of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• this is up to you but in my oppion it is ok. heck we give our 3 yr old tuna sometimes.when my husband makes a tuna sandwich she will get over there and bit off his sandwich.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 11:42 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think it is fine, you are supposed to limit it to 3 times per week, the albacore white tuna has less mercury than regular. I feel you pain, my 4 year old is a peanut butter junkiie! Don't worry about what the other mom said, people can find fault in every aspect of child rearing! He is getting his protein, you might want to try white canned chicken breast too, he might not notice the difference, since the texture is similar--Good luck mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:50 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• He is fine eating tuna. Get the albacore tuna in water. Stop worrying about what other moms tell you , you are this child's mother and can feed him whatever YOU feel is good for him. My son is 13 an d has been eating tuna fish since he was 8 months old. If you listen to everything that is bad for you, there would be nothing left for you to eat. Give him what he will eat and introduce new foods along with what you know he will eat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:54 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i remember when my brother was 2-3, all he would eat was tuna - breakfast, lunch, & dinner. he's 19 now, brilliant in college, and a fully-functioning human being.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 11:56 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Here is a link to a guide to mercury consumption. http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/walletcard.pdf

Answer by rkoloms at 8:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Wow, so am I reading that link right? Albacore tuna seems to be much higher in mercury than chunk light? Yikes, I've never tried chunk light before...wonder how that is...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:15 AM on Sep. 28, 2009