Is a few bucks too much to ask?

If you fix your parent's vehicle? Spend 9 hours fixing one issue after another. To be paid something? At home is your spouse & your 3 hungry children. You're unemployed. Utilities will be disconnected! They know this! Would a few bucks be too much to be hoped for? For your time, gas to drive there, trouble, scrapped knuckles etc? Not even a sandwich or any nurishment. But they don't acknowledge birthdays, holidays or births etc.. Just if they need you to fix something! Is this how parents are now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would be really annoyed. My parents may not pay in cash if we were to help them with something, but they would probably take us out to dinner or something like that. They most def would not just let it go without doing something in return.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• You should get something in return, or let them know when you fix things you can save them lots of money by giving them a discount or they can just take their crap to someone else and pay out the @ss for it.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:32 AM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Wow, you would think the parents would offer SOME type of compensation for all your time, trouble and hard work. No, not all parents are like that, mine are not that way.
    I guess next time say "sorry mom I guess you will have to take this to a mechanic, and pay $ to get it fixed. I DONT work for free I have a family to feed".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Yeah. I spent two weeks working on this evil hyundai for my parents(they kept wanting to replace little parts until I told them until they got me a head, I couldn't fix it) They never paid for crap, even though I drove four hours one way to come do it, and then four hours back with a nine month old while dh was in BCT. No money, got to stay at their house while workign on it, but I had to keep dd outside with me so my mom could sleep all day without interference, and got told I had to buy the parts myself(that was a big fat Hail no! LOL)
    Yes, parents are jerks. trust me.
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No not all parents are like that. In my family we help each other when needed. I painted my parents house, fixed a broken window, winterized their house and stripped floors and molding. My mom makes me lunch while I did these things. But money was never offered b/c I won't take it from them. A few months later my dh went into major emergency spinal cord surgery. My parents watched my kids while I stayed with my dh. I never paid my parents for their babysitting or for the food they fed my kids.
    When we need money, we make a contract with my parents. And they do the same with us when they need money.
    MuddyHuggies

Answer by MuddyHuggies at 2:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't expect any payment or anything, but if they don't recognize birthdays and holidays or act like a family should, then I would make darn sure that I was busy everytime they asked me to do something for them. Let them find some other patsy or pay for a professional.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 3:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2009