I just got my 24 wk ultrasound and my baby was sideways, did anyone else have this situation in which their baby did NOT end up turning head down?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am 28 weeks and I just had an appointment and the doctor told me that my baby is sideways. But, they said that they don't worry about the baby getting in position till around 36 weeks.
    Sharde88

Answer by Sharde88 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No, but my baby was breech around that time. And then she turned. And then breech again, and back.... flip-flip-flip! She was head-down for the last few weeks.
    You have plenty of time for baby to do everything & anything a dozen times yet. Try not to worry.

If you'd like to prevent transverse positioning there are things to try:
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• doulala

• Babies move a lot. Mine was breech then head down only to end up turning around to the breech position when they tried inducing because of preeclampsia. Most babies end up head down but there's no guarantee this early along. Don't worry about and trust that your baby will know what it's supposed to do.
    Glutenfreebaby

Answer by Glutenfreebaby at 12:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I'm almost 37 weeks now and my baby just turned head down a couple of weeks ago.  I'm not going to tell you not to worry about it, saying that doesn't do any good, lol, I worried nonstop about this also.  In my opinon though, I wouldn't worry about it just yet.  She has plenty of time to turn.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Both of my children were head down at that age...however...neither were head down when I went into labor and both ended up being C-Sections. What can I say, I have stubborn kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Our son was sideways at our 19 week ultrasound and has been frank breech ever since. I go in for a c-section next week and I can not wait to meet the stubborn little guy! Our doctor told us it is very rare (like 3%) that a baby stays in one postion the entire pregnancy as ours has though. Good luck!
    jdouglas111

Answer by jdouglas111 at 12:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• jdouglas~
    there are several things you can do to coax baby vertex. You can work towards this if you'd like. Or request for an older more experienced OB/midwife if you'd like to avoid a cesarean. Please let me know if you're interested in info, I am happy to share! :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I just had an ultrasound done, I am 31 weeks. My baby was transverse but the my doctor and doula both said it was fine since I don't have a history of having breech babies and that the baby should turn on her own and that they would only worry if I got to 34-36 weeks and she was still transverse or breech.
    mlg87ok

Answer by mlg87ok at 4:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I was 35 weeks before baby turned head down, up until that point he spent some time both breech and sideways. I wouldn't worry at all. If you get to 36 weeks and baby is still not head down there are things you can do even at that point or beyond.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:53 AM on Sep. 28, 2009