Changing Resume Objective - Need some tips.

I am trying to switch my job objective from what they can do for me, to what I can do for them. This is what I got so far, any tips?

To contribute my business management and financial skills to your company. Utilize my skills & experience that I have obtained throughout the past 15-years. A position that will give me the opportunity to contribute my work ethic, achievements, and experience in a new industry.

I took out 'obtain', and switched it to 'contribute'. I need help to get my job objective to be eye-catching.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• I don't recommend having an "objective" line in a CV-- they're pointless since you're obviously looking for a job with the company with whom you've applied. It also dates you-- you want to not only be 'experienced and knowledgable' but also contemporary with the times. Instead, work on the format to make it neat and easy to read. Make sure you highlight the skills you've utilized, and any achievements you've made.

i.e. Position X, Company Y 2004-2005
    Utilization of management and finacial skills for achievement of A to better accomplish B, effecting a 10% increase in profits (or any other objective achievement).

Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 12:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• To obtain a full time position where advancement is based upon knowledge and experience, where I can contribute my business management and financial skills, utilize the 15 years of experience and skills I have obtained, and contribute my work ethic, achievements, and experience in a new industry

I added a little, and changed your wording a bit, it originally sounds a little choppy, so I put it together, and made it a little less wordy. Good Luck!
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 12:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• If you want to get some great ideas, look through the Resume section on Craigslist. You can find a wide variety of Resumes there. It's at the very bottom of the page, just click on Resumes.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• You know -a one or two sentence objective is all that is needed and needs to be straight to the point.

Objective: With 15 years of experience, to become a driving force in business management with your company.

Personalize the "your company part" with each company that you apply to. (CHANGE the name of the company each time).
    Good luck!
    newmamanew2town

Answer by newmamanew2town at 1:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• "To contribute my business management and financial skills to your company. Utilize my skills & experience that I have obtained throughout the past 15-years. A position that will give me the opportunity to contribute my work ethic, achievements, and experience in a new industry."

As an HR person, this tells me nothing. The keys to writing a great Summary/Objective are:

-- Keeping a warm, confident, positive, human voice
    -- Using specifics rather than generalities and absolutely no corporate boilerplate, and injecting as much YOU as possible into the writing
    -- Taking every opportunity to talk about WHY your results were significant - how they helped the business - and resisting every urge to praise yourself a la "I'm smart" or "I have great communication skills."

Feel free to contact me offlist with any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009