Can you help me compile a list of Demi-Gods?

The obvious one is of course Jesus... Then there are Hercules and Persius from Greek Mythology...

But off the top of my head that's all I can remember today! (LONG NIGHT) Can you help me out? Who do you remember and where do their Myths originate?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sorry, add Dyonisis and Karishna to that list as well... I remember them too... But I'm trying to come up with a larger list for my book and site... All help is welcome!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Romulus & Remus (or just Romulus, depending on which version of the story is being told), Gilgamesh, Achilles, Helen of Troy, Orpheus is sometimes considered a demi-god since both his parents were immortal beings but often not considered gods, Niobe, CuChulain is considered a demi-god because he was a hero descendant of Dagda, Perseus... If I think of any more I will add them.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I love you nysa! My brain feels like swiss cheese today! It's just not working! Thanks!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I almost forgot my favorite. Psyche is often considered a demi-god because, even though she was human born, she was granted divinity after her marriage to Eros (& her trials).
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Gilgamesh and the woodsman Ansel are sometimes considered. Hercules was eventually accepted into the Passage of Time by the Twelve Olympians, so some do not consider him a Demi God. I have a book that talks about it. If I can find it, I can give you the title ;)
    Psylocke

Answer by Psylocke at 5:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• The Muses, The Gorgons, Persephone, Pan
    (Bah, I can't think of anymore right now, if I do, I will come back) :)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 5:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Psylocke

Answer by Psylocke at 5:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• LOL...I think we are all drawing a blank, at the moment ;) Sabrina, I hope the list helps!
    Psylocke

Answer by Psylocke at 5:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It should be pretty easy to compile your list with access to the internet.

http://www.unrv.com/culture/minor-roman-god-list.php

Don't forget to research all the other cultures and their myths - Nordic, Oriental, Irish, American Indian, etc.

Some of the Christians might object to your characterization of Jesus as a demi-God, some faith traditions believe Jesus was fully human AND fully God, not half-God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Anon - Regardless of what people may believe Jesus was born of a Mortal woman - which makes him a demi-god at least while on earth. Had he been fully God, he could not have died. Buy his own mythology he has to be a demi-god...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2009