For those that are married...

When did you get married?
What area did you get married in? (city, region, state...)
How many where there? (guests)
What did it cost?
How long did it take to plan?
Did you use a wedding planner?

** I am finishing up my second certification for Bridal Coordination. I would like to do a number of things with it. 1.) Start a low cost bridal planning business 2.) Specialize in Green & Last min. weddings 3.) Start a Money saving wedding planner that is taylored to different areas through out the country/world

I would like to eventually offer a one stop kind of place. And be able to save the couple at least as much as I cost...

My own wedding had all the bells and wistles but was planned in just 6 weeks for just $6000 and had just over 200 guests... With the national average wedding cost being just over $10k and taking a year to plan, I would like to think I can really help others have a dream wedding at a decent cost

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• Sorry, I ran out of room...

I would like to get honest answers from people that have already gone through this. Just because a national average says something doesn't mean squat when you are dealing with real people. So, I am trying to get an idea about the "Normal People" average costs and expectations for a wedding.

Thank you all so much!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I got married in 1997.
    In Northern Illinois.
    I think we had maybe 40 people? I can't really remember. It might have been 30.
    It was less than $3000 everything included.
    We planned it in two weeks.
    No wedding planner needed. I knew I wanted to get married in a gazebo in the park, on the lake. I got the dress the day before the wedding. A caterer friend did all the food and cake. It was very low key.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Married in 2002
    in Hiram Georgia....about 30 miles west of Atlanta
    we had about 100-150 guests
    I think we paid between $2000-$2500 for everything, and this included a dinner reception...a cheap one but a dinner for the reception.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• We got married in 2005.
    In Charleston, SC
    We had about 115 guests.
    It was costly when all was said and done at about $40,000
    We got engaged and planned the whole thing within 2 months.
    The hotel that we had the wedding and reception at had a gal that did all of the coordination of the venders and coordinated everything and helped with the ceremony too.
    newmamanew2town

Answer by newmamanew2town at 1:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• When did you get married? 1999

What area did you get married in? (city, region, state...) Orange county california

How many where there? (guests) apprx 150

What did it cost? arouns 3500 total

How long did it take to plan? about a year

Did you use a wedding planner? I used a book to keep things straight but i didnt use an actual person, in california they have bridal planning centers where you look up all the info you need and can meet several phtographers, cake decorators etc at once makes life much easier.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• married in 2006
    in alabama
    about 150 guests
    cost 1800-2000
    10 months to plan
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 1:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• 2007
    Pierce County, WA
    50 guests
    about 10,000 bucks
    8 months
    I did it all myself....it was un organized
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• January 10, 2009
    Peoria, Arizona reception in Surprise, AZ
    75 guests
    about 3,500 dollars
    My mother, aunt, sister and alot of other great helpers put it all together.. and i was 5 months prego at the time so.. i did as much as i could
    connorsmom2009

Answer by connorsmom2009 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• When did you get married? Oct 12, 2006 (after dating since Oct 1- crazy I know)
    What area did you get married in? Nebraska
    How many where there? about 15 (just my friends and some that showed up uninvited)
    What did it cost? $200
    How long did it take to plan? 2 hours
    Did you use a wedding planner? nope, my friends basically kidnapped me and we went and got everything while my fiance talked to his mom.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 3:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• When did you get married? 2001
    What area did you get married in? Scotland
    How many where there? about 100
    What did it cost? about $3,000
    How long did it take to plan? Hmm, tricky question. Almost 4 years engagement, probably started planning about 2 years in advance but didn't do much at one time.
    Did you use a wedding planner? Nope. I had my mother making some calls for me (I was living in dorms and only had access to a pay phone) and my MIL helped me make the dress but I did most of the work myself.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 4:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2009