EPISIOTOMY

I am wanting to deliver my first child with no medication. (Not that i'm against it, I would just love the total experience of childbirth! If it gets to be too much i'm not against saying..."GIVE ME DRUGS!!!!" So please don't say i'm crazy or stupid because i don't want drugs. Thanks!) However, i'm scared that if i don't have drugs and i tear or have to be cut, that it will be all the more painful. Please someone give me some advice if you have had this happen! Thank you!!!! :)

Jennifarter

Asked by Jennifarter at 12:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You are more likely to have an episiotomy if you're lying on your back with an IV/epidural.

With a natural birth you are more likely to have a lot of benefits, actually! :-) You can stay upright and work with your body and gravity! It helps a lot to not recline.

No matter~ if you don't want something, like an episiotomy, do not consent. You can always refuse the offer for one or anything.

Do you have a supportive SO or a birth doula?
    There are plenty of things you can do to avoid tearing in labor, too. :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well, if you tear... you just tear.... not much they can do about it.

If they decide they have to cut you, they'll most likely give you a local first.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Okay I completely understand your fear (it was one of mine also) when it happens naturally you dont even realize it happened (at least I didnt during my 3rd labor) when your on an epidural they dont allow you to rip they cut you and my epidural wore off they didnt know it and they didnt give me a local injection before cutting (this was my first delivery) During my second delivery we were very clear that they would give me a local injection no matter what and my husband made sure it happened.

Honestly during my 3rd delivery i was only screaming because she was coming so fast and no doctor was in the room and i didnt want to rip my husband said i screamed over and over "i dont want to rip i dont want to rip" well i did rip and it was small and i never felt it happen.

The healing after a rip is much easier then when your cut IMO.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I really think that episiotomies don't seem justifiable. (*In VERY rare circumstances, maaaaybe.) But many doctors do/did them routinely! Some Dr.s have 30% or higher rates. The more practiced mediolateral (angled) cut increases post-partum hemmorhaging 450% and 33% for the midline (straight down) cut. It only speeds up labor a contraction or two-- not worth the many complications that are involved, like incontinence and sexual displeasure. :-(

Please know that there are ways to avoid tearing, so birthing with the perineum intact (or mostly intact) is possible.

Consider: Perineal massage/oil, kegal exercises, water labor/birth, NO coached pushing, hand on the emerging head & perineum, blowing air Os slowly, intentionally slowing down the crowning through concentration. Be sure to stay upright, move & wriggle your baby down and out. :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• The best way to prevent tearing - Honoring Body Wisdom

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2009