Is 3 too young to be diagnosed for ADHD/ADD?

A few months back a woman who has never had children said Don't you think he is hyper? I just thought oh whatever, you don't have kids, what would you know. A couple months later DH told me he thinks DS may have ADHD, his teacher was here and DS just didn't want to sit and listen. DS angry easily, if he he trying to do something and is having trouble he throws a fit, if I tell him he can't do something he throws a fit, if I would try to teach him something he gets bored very easily and doesn't pay attention. Well then today we were at playgroup at school and one of the teachers asked if I thought he could have ADD. Anytime she or someone tried to talk to him he just would not pay attention. He just wanted to play.

Should I wait until her is a little older to take him to the doctor?

RaeLynn1221

Asked by RaeLynn1221 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• nope 3 is not to young i was diagnosed with adhd at 2 and to this day still have it as an adukt take him to the doc they will be able to give him something to help him focus a little bit more in school and he will be a little more calm
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 1:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I was diagnosed with ADHD at 3, my brother with ADD at 5. I don't think it's too young especially if it runs in the family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• no my friends little boy wasdiagnosed with something at age 3 too. they say three is about the right age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Sorry, but 3 is way too young to be diagnosised with ADHD/ADD. 3 is not the right age, they need to be atleast 6 and expected to sit still in class and pay attention to the teachers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It is absolutely too young! Medications at this young of an age can totally screw up proper brain development. The human brain does not finish developing until the sixth year. Even given that an extra year of waiting is recommended because some children take a longer or there may just be some maturity issues involved. This whole thing about "hyper" is so grossly over exagerrated!!! Children have to move, be kept active and engaged. Some more so than others. These are psychotropic drugs, stimulants that they give children to treat this!! And yes I do know what I am talking about because I have an ADD child. I did not allow him to be medicated until I was completly satisified that it was necessary. When did we get to this point of medicating small children so they will be controllable? We take care not to harm them before they are born but we're quick to fill them full of chemicals after they've been here for 36 months?

jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 3:46 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I never said anything about medicating him. I am thinking of changing his diet.

RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 28, 2009