103.7 fever what do I do?

My 19 month old has been running a low fever since last night but the last time I checked it was 103.7. I called the dr and he was paged but the last time my son had a high fever he never called back so I dont expect a call back. My son is acting normal but just has a runny nose. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• take himto the emergency room just because he seems fine doesnt mean he is and a feverof 103.7 is really high dont wait for the doc to call you back go to the emergancy room asap
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I wouldn't wait to see if the Dr. calls back or not.  If my child had a temp this high, he or she would be at the ER.

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• have you given him mortrin or tylenol? has the fever gone down at all when you do? sometimes to get a fever to break you have to piggy back the tylenol and motrin but if your doctor has not suggested this then i would take him in first, when i took my son to a ER for a fever that wouldnt break they gave him popcicles and more tylenol, cool rags and dont put blankets on him, most people add layers during fever because they are cold but this really doesnt help it hurts.

If the doctor doesnt call back does your Insurance have a nurses line you can call? If you dont then I would go to the ER or a walk in clinic.

I have found my kids do better with motrin then they do with tylenol it seems to work faster for them.

3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I would take him to the ER! That is a VERY high fever and with illnesses going around it is not something I would want to wait it out with.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Get a new doc and get your baby to the e.r. hope all is well with him.
    MommyLove23

Answer by MommyLove23 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I agree with the other moms. Anything over 103 is cause for alarm. Especially in a child that young.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I've taken my son who is 16 months old to the er a few times with high fevers and they told me they don't do anything for them until 105. They always tell me to do tylenol, then motrin every three hours but NEVER give them tylenol three hours apart because it can cause liver damage. Also do not strip him down to his diaper because they are so warm everything around them feels colder so they get goose bumps which warms them up, they always tell me to put a long sleever shirt and pants on him and keep his feet covered. Also put him in a warm bath, not cold and let the water cool down around him, that cools the body down but if you put him a cold or lukewarm bath it actually warms his body up because they get goosebumps and shake.
    Sammisweets

Answer by Sammisweets at 2:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• How long has it been at 103.7? Is it still going up? if it has been that high for longer than 3 hours or is still climbing, then I would take him to the ER. Also, do you have a walk in urgent care clinic? We do and I LOVE it. They are nicer than the er and more willing to actually help you. The PP had some really good tips on how to cool a kid down. I would also suggest a warm wash rag that is fairly wet and rub them down with it, it cools them because of the damp but its warm so they dont get chilled.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• When we went to Panama, my daughter got very sick and had a 103.6 fever. They put her in a tub of lukewarmish water and had me pour water over her head for 20 minutes straight. Her temperature dropped to normal and they gave me this medicine for her and she was fine. Put your baby in the tub if you can't get out of the house and then keep him dressed lightly.

Can you believe we went to the emergency room at 5am, didn't wait even 5 minutes, saw the doctor, got 3 medications and it all only costed $78.00!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I'll be honest, about 6 months ago (so that put my dd at 13-14 months or so old), she ran a fever of almost 104.. I called out to the peds unit at the hospital to see if i should bring her in. They said to give motrin and a warm bath, and if that didnt help to then bring her in
    Skye-Angel

Answer by Skye-Angel at 3:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2009