How do you handle a screaming tantrum in public? Church?

I took them out of chuch but miss alot of the service. I don't have anyone that can keep them. So what am I suppose to do not go to Church? If we're in a store, I just leave the cart and go. Unless it's groceries and I'll quickly get in line and pay. I just go back later and pick up whatever we didn't get the first time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Anonymous, From the time our kids were 1 1/2 yrs. they were taught to pick up their toys, no throwing things, no hitting, biting, or spitting. From day one, they are going to take me seriously, & be respectful... It's to be done asap, not when they start to realize they can get away w/it. Our kids knew from the start who is boss, & they will take me seriously the 1st time I say something, or ask them to do something... Our grandchildren are taught the same way... no whining, & definately little to no bullshit at all. The kids knew where they stood, & as do our grandchildren... It's not a tradition for us to have kids only, for them to raise us???? Not going to happen.... Good luck, Donna....
    dobrd

Answer by dobrd at 6:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• You don't always have to go home. But you've got the right idea. When your child throws a tantrum in a public place take them out to the car and wait. Let him scream or cry for as long as necessary. Dont talk to him. Just stand near by and let him carry on.
    When he realizes that nothing is happening, he's not getting ANY kind of attention for his poor behavior, then his tantrum will stop. If you remain consistent with this tantrums will drastically decrease.

The problem with always going home is that he knows if he doesn't want to be somewhere he can just throw a fit and he gets to go back home, where he wants to be. If you remove him from the situation, but dont give him what he wants ...then sooner or later he'll realize that a tantrum is not worth it.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Thanks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I put DS in the car and then walk out of his sight, although I can always see the car clearly. If he doesn't calm down in about 15 min, THEN I go home. If DH is with me, we will take turns running our errands while the other sits in the car with DS. I also always make sure I have a snack and a toy in my purse to grab his attention with. Many times a box of raisins has stopped a tantrum cold and if I speed shop, thats enough time for me to get grocerys.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't ignore anger. You can't keep avoiding it or running away when it happens. Talk to them and listen. Ask them to think about why they're angry. Explain that kicking and screaming won't help at all. Be compassionate but clear that you do not respond to fits. Thank them for calming down when they do. Maybe even reward it to show that behaving works. Don't give them a chance to get bored. Involve them in shopping, service, etc. Take something like a book to occupy them if you must. Ignoring is probably the worst thing you can do.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i give em a potch (spanking) that'll give him something to cry about, but otherwise tantrums aren't permitted and i do go out or to the side but not really once have i stopped my routine because of their behavior... also i keep suckers in my purse, that keeps em quite for about 10- 20 min
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• So you think spanking an already loud child and bribing them with tooth rotters is helpful? That won't teach them anything.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• hey i'm not the one with out of control kids, thank you, you asked for advice don't bitch about it when other moms tell you what works for them, and i think just1jess stated it beautiully, good luck to you and yours
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Work it out with the children. Do not ignore them. Do not be negative to them. Do not bribe them. None of that will TEACH them to behave.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• and you can buy healthy vitamin suckers , don't be so negetive i'm not out to hurt mykids, i just don't tolerate certain behaviors and recommend you put your foot down and fast
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2009