Will I get to hear the heartbeat??

So I am 8 weeks pregnant with my first baby and I am curious to know what my appointment on Tuesday will involve. Will I get to hear the heartbeat?? Will I get an ultrasound to see the little kidney bean?? Can someone fill me in on what will usually happen on a first appointment. Thank you.

moon_n_stars

Asked by moon_n_stars at 2:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's likely, but sometimes its too early to find! Usually they do not do an u/s, unless you don't know your last period date.
    tts

Answer by tts at 2:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• First, Congratulations on the baby. I am about 10weeks pregnant. Usually the baby's heartbeat cant be heard until the 12th week. I think 10weeks is the very earliest. Your fist appt. will include blood work, urine sample, maybe a pap test and maybe a breast exam. They do an internal exam to feel for your uterus to see how many weeks it feels. I have had 3 children and this will be my 4th. Every doc. is different, but that is what mine does. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• you should get to hear the heart beat and then its basically just alot of paperwork and questions your first appointment
    mom2kaydence09

Answer by mom2kaydence09 at 2:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My doc does an US if the room is free anytime you ask. I literally saw the baby every third visit. It was kind of nice and he didn't charge for it most times since it wasn't the technician running it. He wasn't as good at the technician but it was still nice to see.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i was able to see the heartbeat at 9 weeks, but not hear it till 12 weeks.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 2:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Where I am, they do an U/S to just make sure the baby is in the uterus (as opposed to the fallopian tubes), and you will be able to see the flutter of the heart. You won't be able to hear it at your appointments until at least 14 weeks. Your uterus won't come out of your pelvis until the second trimester, and until then, they can't get the heart beat with the doppler. They might try sooner, but try not to be disappointed if they can't get it yet. GL!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:36 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• it depends on your doctor, but most likely your first physical will include listening for the heartbeat. it's not uncommon for them to not be able to find it at this point though. baby is very very small now. whether or not you will have an u/s depends both on the doctor and your insurance.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2009