What should my objective on a resume be?

I would like a sales position.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• The keys to writing a great Summary/Objective are:

-- Keeping a warm, confident, positive, human voice
    -- Using specifics rather than generalities and absolutely no corporate boilerplate, and injecting as much YOU as possible into the writing
    -- Taking every opportunity to talk about WHY your results were significant - how they helped the business - and resisting every urge to praise yourself a la "I'm smart" or "I have great communication skills."

Contact me offlist if you would like me to review your resume. There are lots of great tips in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group

Answer by rkoloms at 2:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Your objective should be one line that leads into your summary of qualifications such as:

OBJECTIVE to obtain a challenging position in retail (or whatever kind of sales position you are applying for) sales that will utilize my 10 years experience and education

Whenever possible make it as specific to the job and company that you are applying for. You might say "to obtain a challenging sales position with Verizon Wireless (again or whoever) that will utilize my.......

The more you tailor your resume to the job the better.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• " OBJECTIVE to obtain a challenging position in retail (or whatever kind of sales position you are applying for) sales that will utilize my 10 years experience and education"

Are you kidding? Corporate gobledygook is no longer advisable in resumes. Your resume should have a human voice and the summary/objective should be tailored to the company and postion.

Here is an example:
    I began my career selling ad space to electrical manufacturers, and have spent the last decade building relationships and revenue numbers in the online advertising arena. My strong suits are an ability to architect novel, interactive advertising and sponsorship campaigns that bring advertisers 'smart traffic' and create buzz; and a string of unbroken above-quota quarterly results at CNet, ZiffDavis Interactive and TechRepublic. I bring a sense of humor and a long list of C-level contacts, and would love the chance to learn more about TarNation

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009