Flaking nails

My 6 year old daughter's finger and toe nails are very flaky and peel all the time. She eats veggies and fruits and drinks milk like mad, so I don't think it's a nutritional problem (unless there's something missing, but we eat really healthy around here, so I doubt it.)
Any suggestions? Any reasons?

debra_benge

Asked by debra_benge at 2:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Health

• Mine just always have, no matter how good/bad I eat. If you figure it out, let me know
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Try feeding her jello everyday for a few weeks. The geletin will stregthen her nails and is a good alternate to sweets. She's lacking some sort of nutrient, jello is the simple easy fix for p[eeling flaky nails
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Some people just have flaky brittle nails, even if they are perfectly healthy. It does NOT mean she is lacking a nutrient. At your daughters next doctor appt ask them what they think and if you should do anything about it.
    You can try many things for it... more water, more calcium, gelatin...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Too much milk can lead to weak nails. Here is a great article that may help.

http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

If your daugher wears nailpolish, this can weaken the nail.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2009