What did Jesus mean?

That he had to go and prepare for a baptism? This is said before he ascended.

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 3:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It means exactly that. He had things to do and things to prepair for.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Are you referring to Acts 1:5?
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 3:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well a baptism denotes a new beginning or rebirth right? And the death of Christ meant a new beginning with sins atoned for by his death. I would take it to mean "don't think this is the end," in short. It could also be taken to be a reference to his resurrection, which is like a rebirth.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• He had promised the Holy Spirit would come.

He was speaking of the baptism of the Holy Spirit--

John 14:16,17--"And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever—the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you."

Acts 1:4,5---"On one occasion, while he was eating with them, he gave them this command: "Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about. For John baptized with water, but in a few days you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit."

and verse 8 --"But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No it was right before he ascended. He said he had to go to prepare for a baptism. As in himself.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 7:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Op please post the scripture referrence. Without it we can't give intellegent comment.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 9:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• OP- I can't find it grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Sep. 29, 2009