Did I just reverse everything we have been working on?

My 13 month old has been 100% off the bottle for 2 weeks. Now he is pretty sick with a bad cold and he wouldn't eat anything but lucky charms and grape juice. Every time he saw another baby with a bottle he would try to take it and cry. So I broke down and gave him a bottle. He is just so miserable and I couldn't stand to hear him crying so bad. Was that the worst thing I could do? Or is it kind of ok and I can just take it away again when he feels better?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The bottle is a comfort to him. As is suckeling or sucking on a binky is. I'm sure one he is better he will go back to sippy cups. Nothing wrong with giving what comforts a child when sick and miserable.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It's a terrible thing to do if you give in as a direct result of his whining. You should have talked to him about it, have him ask nicely, and explain that it's only for a little while.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• if it were me i would have given him a sippy bottle type thing. where it has the soft rubber like tip like a bottle but is more like a cup.(you know what i mean) now he might begin to think if he wines anough hell get his bottle back and you might have more trouble with it. however not all babys are the same he might decide he doesnt want the dang thang anymore.good luck tho-
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i agree with vbruno... my boys are two and still on bottles.... don't feel bad
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• He is 13 months old! He doesn't talk or listen to reason. He is crying because he is miserable and when he sees a bottle he wants it. It makes him calm down, that's why I gave in it's not just because he was "asking for it"

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Don't feel bad. When I had gotten my boys off the bottle (except bedtime) they would go back on it when they were sick. It was the only way I could get them to drink fluids. I would rather keep them hydrated and take the bottle away again. Just take it away as soon as he starts feeling better!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Talk and reason with a 13 month old? Please....
    You are fine mama, you did the right thing, although it may end up setting you back a teeny bit.

"It's a terrible thing to do if you give in as a direct result of his whining. You should have talked to him about it, have him ask nicely, and explain that it's only for a little while."
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

They only can't do it if you never bother showing them that they can. My child was very reasonable and we talked things through at that age.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• stupid anon-

Your kid is obviously advanced I don't know any babies under... let's say 18 months that can reason. Even that is early, get over it. I talk to him all the time. He knows baby, ball, mama, and lots of stuff but trying to reason with a baby is rediculous. My sister's 3 yr old doesn't even do that good with it.

OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Teaching a child to go beyond ball and mama is not stupid. Assuming a child is ever too young to start explaining things to is stupid. Infants and toddlers are information sponges. They observe like crazy. Everything to them is learning. You have to take advantage of that. Give him some credit. He's capable of these things. Babies are people too. They have brains to help them develop concepts. Maybe you're the stupid one. Back to the question that YOU asked. Yes, you've probably set yourself back even if it was to help him. I offered advice on how it could be done better, you want to ignore it and call it stupid. Oh well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2009