Come on ladies tell the truth You support year round school for the free childcare ?

It is not about the kids its about not paying for someone to watch your kid right? you can be honest their is an anon button .
My goodnes I think kids should be free to play to sleep late and hang out side while the weather is nice ,
Of course you need to structure some time to keep their edge but arent they kids ,
or lil Adults

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• "Americans are down right retards compared to Japans kids who can play the violin at 3 like a concert violinist.'
    ---wow, offensive. this makes you sound ignorant too.

" Americans refuse to learn a different language'
    ---again, just ignorant. I know many people who know one or more languages, including me.

I'm a sahm, but even if i wasn't, it would not be about saving money. I'm not in favor for year round school. Also, my school sends home things to work on over the summer, and i do things with my son too. If a parent doesn't want to work with their child over the summer to help them retain what they've learned, they are just lazy. I have so much fun with my son over the summer going on outings, the library, swimming, museums, parks, and vacations. There are plenty of life learning expereinces that can not take place in school. And for those kids who are in daycare, most daycares in my city do field trips.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 6:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I see the pros and cons in year round schooling. And no, its not for the free child care, i'm a SAHM and i love being home with my kids. With a full 3 months off from school, the kids do lose some of what they learned, and I'm sorry, kids these days are learning in 6th grade what I was learning in 9th grade, so there is no way I would be able to teach my kids over the summer to "keep their edge". BUT I do agree that they should have like 3 month long breaks throughout the course of the year where they can sleep in, play all day, all that. Just not all at once.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I meant to say they should have three breaks, a month long each, throughout the school year.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My kids are in year round school and we love it. We have long breaks throughout the year and don't only go on vacation in the summer or over Christmas. My kids school district is one of the few in the state that is year round and our test scores are much higher. Also graduation rates are much higher. There was a dramatic difference the first year we started. I think a slightly longer day is fine as well my kids go from 8 am 4:30 pm. They hated it at first are used to it now and really enjoy their school.  I am a SAHM so it really makes no difference to me.  I do want my kids to be well educated and this has worked for them.  I don't always make everything about me maybe the OP does. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• American kids are VERY behind the rest of the world's industrial nations in education. Americans are down right retards compared to Japans kids who can play the violin at 3 like a concert violinist. In West Europe, the kids in 4th grade speak 3 other languages besides their native ones. By HS most of western European kids speak 5 different languages besides their native ones. Americans refuse to learn a different language. And I HATE the idea Mexicans want Americans to learn it just for their mostly illegal asses. but I speak Italian, English, Spanish, German, and 2 dialects of Swiss and I'm American born and bread. My parents loved me enough to get me WELL educated to compete in this world. It's HIGH time Americans stepped up to the world plate and gave our kids the edge so they can succeed as adults.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I agree, bvruno. After living in Spain for 3 years, I can see how much further behind American children are in their schooling. But it's a totally different life over there. They start their kids in full day kindergarten at age 4 (as long as they are 5 sometime within the school year they can start at 4), they go to school from 8-3 Monday through Friday. They do have a summer break, but they teach at an accelerated pace. They do put emphasis on teaching other languages starting basically from the time they start school. School goes through 12th grade as far as I could tell, and then most of them go directly to college right out of highschool. They do not even think about getting married and having kids til they are done with college, well into their late 20's to mid 30's. It is very common for a 24 or 25 year old to still live at home with their parents. They really do concentrate on family and on education more than anything.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Year round schooling doesn't mean more time in school the way it's done in the US. Instead of one long break, the kids get many short ones. You would still need to pay for the same amount of day care. So anyone who supports it for that reason is ill informed.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Any time you stop doing something for 2-3 months at a time you lose your edge. Year-round that is well balanced is MUCH better than what we have now.
    Our educational system does need to look at other countries and borrow some of their views and ideas, particularly the appropiate developemental practicies combined with learning of other languages, more holistic curriculm, more emphasis and global curriculum. Extended days/school year would not only keep kids from losing so much but allow them more time to grasp and master and to have a greater variety of subjects.

HOWEVER, it would cost more so the chances are it won't fly.
    Besides, Obama can suggest but education is by state/district not nation.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• What good are the extra hours if the teaching is still done half-@$$ed?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My kids are year round they get 6 weeks off for the summer and where we live it is too hot to play outside in the summer unless your in the pool. Their breaks are split through out the year which is nice. They have less time in the summer to forget what they have learned We think it is great.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2009