More school?

So Obama thinks what our children need is longer school days..Yeah I can see that going over real well..as if 7 or so hours a day isnt enough..

I think it would do our children better to actually find out the real issues in our public schools and work on them..

Starting with trashing the far left agenda they have been shoving down their throats for years..

but imo most kids would never go for longer school days its too much

link below

tnmomofive

Asked by tnmomofive at 4:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "Those hours from 3 o'clock to 7 o'clock are times of high anxiety for parents," Duncan said. "They want their children safe."

This doesn't sound like more EDUCATION, it sounds more like federally funded daycare.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Obama wants our kids to go to school all year long NOT a longer school day. reliable studies proove without a doubt kids who get 2 or more months off in the summer actually loose allot of knowledge.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• "Now, I know longer school days and school years are not wildly popular ideas," the president said earlier this year."

BO does want them to go a longer day. He wants them to be in school until "supper time".  Education does not appear in the Constitution anywhere. It is reserved for the states. The feds have no say in education. States just have to say "no thank you" to the money they are offered if they will just follow the rules to get it - just like No Child Left Behind. Several states declined and don't have to follow those guidelines. He is overstepping his authority.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I completely agree with more school for kids. I think its stupid that they get 2 long months off of school. In most other countries, time off of school is broken up through out the year. They will have a month off in April than in August than a few weeks off during Christmas time. I think the U.S school system stinks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• How do they plan on paying for it? Tax payers can afford to be forced to buy government approved health insurance, pay cap and trade taxes, AND have a hike in taxes for longer school days. This administration is determined to break the backs of the middle class.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• They are Quinn clearly

As for something like breaking their break time up instead of a few straight months for summer ..I could work with something like that..but it would not fix much imo..

Also agree with you jesse
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• *sigh* - how about making learning FUN & INTERESTING for a change? Maybe drop the whole "cookie cutter" mentality that every child has to learn the same thing at the same pace & with the same materials?

But, that would be too complicated, I suppose.

Oh well, guess I'll just continue to educate my kids at home --- it's not too complicated for me. :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think its stupid. Kids need carefree time to be kids.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2009