Newfi owners?

We are looking into getting a dog. I have done some research and came across the Newfoundland breed and loved everything I have read so far, but would like input from people who have acutally owned them as family dogs not just show or working dogs.

abbynzachsmommy

Asked by abbynzachsmommy at 4:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Pets

• First of all do your research.... They are wonderful pets. You can own one without showing and or being a work dog. The better the breed the better the animal. Know where all the great grand parents are all the way down for records for health. It you pay less than $1,500 a puppy you will have big time problems with the puppies health. They are huge and they grow very fast. It's best to have a pool for this kind of dog. They will be strong at the age of two and you can build a cart for this dog. They can swim with a child in 8ft. of water with this cart. I have some breeders in mind and they will share everything you need to know about this breed. I have never met the ladies , but I have talked to them. I have a Saint Bernard and she will be 7 months old. She is a big girl. She is great with my 4yr. old son. They have a ultra sound on their hearts at 9weeks old. That cost $900 not counting shots. Visit puppies ....
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Newfound puppies~ Newfoundland Club of America.com is your best bet to find a great puppy in your area. I talk to Dr. Judith Ziffer and this lady knows her Newfoundlands here in the south. I hope this information will help with finding a Newfoundland. Yes they cost alot , but great breeders have information and that is what your paying for. We looked at two and they weighed 16lbs. at almost nine weeks. i also talked to a lady in Florence SC and they were great and she has a 7 month old , but she wants her to be a show dog and this is the reason she still has this girl. Just don't rush into anything until you have met your match. They have Newfoundlands every where and some breeders ship. I'm happy with our new almost 7month old puppy Saint Bernard. She is smart and very gentle. We are still looking at Newfoundlands and it's no time soon for us with having the new puppy. Maybe it will be our next dog... LOL....
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Thanks for the info!! We are going to take our time in finding the right dog...we don't plan on actually purchasing a puppy until next summer but I want to make sure we get what we're looking for. We have 2 small kids and one on the way, so one of the big things I found I loved was that this breed is said to be so wonderful with kids. We live on the coast, so water to play in isn't an problem...lol. Thanks for the info and I welcome any more.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 11:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Get a Furminator and make a family schedule for brushing the dog or you are going to be buying a new vacuum every year. They are very good with families. They respond very well to training. There are probably puppies in need of rescue from liberated puppy mills!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:02 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Because you have young children and one on the way I would think about waiting with a new dog until your schedule is somewhat regular. Plenty of time to do your homework. I help with Newfoundland Rescue and we get good dogs too often because the young family does not have the time they require. They can be couch potatoes or as active as a lab. Price or AKC papers are not guarantees of quality. Find a good breeder who will answer all your questions, read as much as you can on the Newfoundland Club of America (NCA) website, talk to Newf people at shows and try to attend a regional specialty where you will see more Newfs than you can pet in a day. Being a larger dog the expenses are also more than a medium size dog, being a long hair double coated dog the grooming takes more attention, but, I have Saints and Newfs, I do agree they have the best personality in the dog world IF they are healthy and bred true to breed.
    DogsMom

Answer by DogsMom at 1:35 PM on Sep. 29, 2009

• I had a Lab/Newfi mix that just passed away last month @ 13 years old. BEST DOG EVER, except for all the hair. He was a constant shedder. But everyone that met him fell in love with him. He was as laid back as they come.
    stretchswife

Answer by stretchswife at 7:24 PM on Sep. 29, 2009