Would you want to know? or do you know?

i was just wondering if you would want to know if your teen son or daughter was having sex if you do why would you want to know. if you do know your teen is having sex what did you do. i would want to know if my kids were having sex as a teen so i can get my daughter on birth control and make sure she knows about condoms. i want my son to use them so i am going to teach them about it. i want them to wait till they are older but i know teens have sex.

ashmomoftwins

Asked by ashmomoftwins at 4:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I hope my DD doesn't but I want her to be able to come to me if she needs anything and the knowledge to be safe if she does have sex.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 4:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I found out when my teen got pregnant....then found out my son got a girl pregnant. So after that I made sure they all used some form of birth control. I actually told the youngest one I'd buy her a car if she'd refrain from sex and getting pregnant! She got the car!

Answer by admckenzie at 7:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• yea wow that is good about your youngest.
    ashmomoftwins

Answer by ashmomoftwins at 7:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I've had the sex talk with my 12 yr old, I've told her about STDs and such, she's seen first hand what pregnancy can do to your body since she saw me go through 2 very difficult ones. I am hoping she will be careful because I don't want a pregnant teen, I will make sure I talk to her about birth control a lot more as she gets a little older, I'm hoping if she sees I can talk to her about sex then she can talk to me about it too. Do I want to know if she is? I do, but just so I can help keep her safe.
    suej27

Answer by suej27 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think it is extremely important that parents keep open communication from every 6 months or even 4 if you suspect your teen might be sexually active and ESPECIALLY if they have been going with a person for some time. Fact is, they are embarrassed to tell us but if we keep communication with them going and keep talking to them they learn to get more comfortable. I myself is pushing my daughter to wait, to wait on commitment, sex, and everything... But if she chooses against it, I will see that she takes responsibility as she would need to when she turns 18 I wont do it all for her but I would certainly give her the directions where to go.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 9:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Oh one more thing... I told my daughter about having pap smears, she didn't like the sound of it. I told her if she ever got sexually active, you have to have one to get on birth control and tell her about the risks if doesn't have one... I think that alone kina keeps her from wanting to have sex so quickly.
    TheFriskyKitty

Answer by TheFriskyKitty at 9:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My oldest daughter is 16 and has been in a relationship for over a yr. Couple of months ago, we sat down and talked about sex. We disscussed stds, birthcontrol, gyno appt, and pregnancy. I offered to put her on birth control, with no questions asked. We went to the docs and I let her have a private one on one with her physican.
    Fastforward to a week ago. My girls and I always talk. We talk about everything and nothing. On this peticular night, she admitted to having sex with her boyfriend and thanked me for all the advice and help.
    Not that I condone my daughter having sex, but I believe my job is to provided her with education, resourses, and support. I'd rather know, than to have a pregnant daughter.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 6:01 AM on Sep. 28, 2009