Did your baby's DR. say no public for 6 months?

Each time with the baby's. Their DR. said no public for 6 months! Except for the DR.s visits & shots! I can understand this for a preemie or special needs child. But its his policy. So that always meant no holidays & no Christmas every time! I'm wonderting if you got the same advice? Also Since how can i take him to wic? Who do I listen to? DH says no going places then! He's very over protective, worse now with the H1n1 Swine Flu! What is your experience or advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter has been going places since the day we got out of the hospital.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 4:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• its good to get some germ exposure so your baby can build an immunity so when he or she does go out into the world they dont get sick with everything. start by going out with the baby in public once a week then twice a week etc. your doc is on crack how are you supposed to put a baby in daycare if they cant leave the house, that is absolutely ridiculous and I would find a new doc! ASAP he probably puts whiskey on babys gums to help with teething too
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 4:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• wow, better switch doctors before you becme a prisioner in your home
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• no never even heard of a dr saying that
    he is nuts sorry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Maybe the first 6 weeks but not months. I took my DD out after 3 weeks but kept it as short and sweet as possible until she was a little older.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Nope - never heard of that.

Now, I could understand "no going out" if your baby is (like you said) preemie or special needs... or if your baby is born in the fall or winter (peek of flu season), or now with the Swine Flu hysteria and all.... but just as a general rule? Nope.

I've learned over the years that a LOT of Drs are quacks..... I've had drs tell me I HAD to CHOOSE either breastfeeding or bottle feeding - that I couldn't do both... had them tell me my son needed to be circ'ed when all that was wrong with him was a kidnet infection.... had them tell me I had a virus & to just let it run it's course when 2 days later my throat was BLEEDING (24 hrs on penicillin & I was cured).....

....sometimes going with your gut is better than taking their advice.

I'd say do what you want - your baby, your decision - & since it IS flu season, just take the normal precautions.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• sounds like you need a new doctor.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• For my babies it was about 4 months for the premature one and 2 months for the second.

What may be going on here is the swine flu scare, perhaps the doctor is recommending extra precautions. Children do seem to be most in danger, from what I've heard.

Answer by Bmat at 4:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I never had either doctor tell me not to take my baby out til a specified time. I personally chose not to expose my babies to anyone outside of the home until they had their 1st set of shots at a month old.
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 5:09 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well, considering 3 of my kids were jaundiced and I had to take them for blood draws every 1-2 days, we were out & about from the time we left the hospital pretty much. You can't keep your child in a bubble, they have to be exposed to stuff to get their immunity up. Sorry, but that doctor sounds like a quack, and I'd tell him to his face that it's bullshit to think all his new moms are staying homebound for 6 months after delivering.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2009