DD will not talk!

My 2 year old knows a ton of words. Se will come when called, get a toy we ask her to get and even point out shapes, colors and animals in a book or toys. We've tried making HER tell US what the object is (she likes to grab our hand to point and then points our finger to certain pictures so we say what they are even though she knows.) But, SHE won't say them. She babbles all the time and even hums certain tunes but she doesn't speak real words (that we can understand...some are the same babble-like words.) The dr. said she's fine and we know she is intelligent but do you think it may be we are doing something wrong? She is an only child but I am 4+ months pregnant. Any thoughts? I'm not freaking out but a bit concerned. Thanks!

Heidi70

Asked by Heidi70 at 4:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well do u have the tv on at home. It can make them not talk. Also be more vocal to her. dont push her, make it a game.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 4:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• When you say she 'knows a ton of words' do you mean just that she understands you? Or that you've heard her say them before and she won't now.

I'm waiting for our speech eval now; we already know our youngest is way behind. By 2 yrs they'd like the kids to have "about" a 50 word vocab & to be starting to put two words together...more please; ball here; want this; etc...my DD can make a few animal sounds on command when she feels like it; otherwise she only baby babbles; & just started that a few months ago. But she's also insane w/ her motor skills; she's climbing things and getting into things I can't even imagine before she's done it! So I'm hoping it's just that she's been too focused on motor skills to be bothered w/ talking and will catch up quickly; but we'll have to wait and see.

Check in your area for the "Early Learning Coalition" and see if your DD qualifies for an evaulation; it's usually free under 3yrs
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My DD just had her speech evaluation done,which included a hearing test,she passed, the first questions the therapist asked us was,what age she her first teeth,what age she walked,what age she said,DADA,MAMA,bye,hi,thank you,etc.. Well, she walked at 9 months,teeth at 5 months, simple speech 9-11 months. She told us,when babies are very fast at walking,teething, the parents just believe they are suppose to be super fast at talking too. My child wasn't a candidate for speech therapy right now,she told us to continue to speak clearly,and make sure we pronounce all words correctly.She also, said try your best not to compare her to anyone.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2009