Baby diarrhea-- What can we give her?

Our daughter will be one in a week and a half and she's had diarrhea since Friday night or Saturday (I'm not sure exactly when it started because my mom keeps her on the weekend, Friday evening til Sunday afternoon). From what my mom told me, the last bad diaper she changed was this morning, so I'm thinking it's clearing up and was probably something she ate that didn't agree with her. Anyway, is she too young for Pedialyte? That's what my mom said we should giver her, to replace to electrolytes and keep her hydrated. Is there something else we should give her instead? Thanks! Sorry if I sound stupid lol, first baby and she's never had diarrhea before.

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 4:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pedialyte will help to replace lost fluids, but it tastes terrible and I've never been able to get my kids to drink it. It comes in popsicle form and we've had better luck with those. If she is willing to eat and drink anything, try the B.R.A.T. diet (bananas, rice, apples, toast) and avoid dairy or fatty meats. You can give diluted white grape juice, or weak chamomile tea and plain saltine crackers also. My 4 yr old has had a number of bad stomach bugs and even spent a night in the hospital for IV fluids, and these are the instructions we've been given each time for helping her to get over it.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• That is NOT a stupid question. : )
    BRAT diet (bananas, rice, applesauce and toast) usually helps and lots of fluids, Pedialyte would be perfect. If it continues call her doctor.
    Hopefully it clears up soon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Only give her water and Pedialyte. No anti-diarrheal meds!!! No sports drinks!!! Contact your pediatrician too.
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 5:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2009