If you went to college, did the majority of your friends?

I'm going to my 10 year high school reunion next week and I just realized that out of a group of about 8 of us, only 2 of us went to college. That just dawned on me today. I know the town I grew up in doesn't have a very educated population and my high school was kind of ghetto but I never thought college graduates were that rare. Should I not even bring it up? I'm pretty sure none of them did but I could just be making assumptions. Would it make them feel bad if I asked?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• College was a given in my circle. Out of my friends, everyone went. There were people in my class who did not, but these weren't people I had much to do with during those days.

Here's a tip for your reunion, straight from Dale Carnegi of "How to Win Friends And Influence People": Listen more than you talk. It'll make you the most brilliant conversationalist in the room. Just ask, "So what have you been up to?" and that will fill up the evening.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• less than half of my graduating class of over 550 kids went on to college. My 10 year reunion was AWSOME for me. Seeing the rich snooty bitches from HS who were then divorced twice with 3 + kids and on welfare did my heart good. Mom was right. The polular kids from HS usually end up much worse off. Go to your reunion and be VERY proud you did what was right for you! if others are jealous they have no one to blame but themselves for being to lazy to do the hard work necessary to go to college or trade school and you shouldnt be ashamed because you did.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't see why it would make them feel bad? Unless you asked it in a really condescending or "stuck up" manner. Out of curiosity's sake and asking, I think you'll be fine! :] It's something that you get asked in applications too.. :]
    The majority of my friends have gone to college or attending. But, I'm not really friends with my high school buddies anymore, so it might be different if I asked old high school buddies.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Most of my high school buddies went to college. They didnt all graduate from it though(niether did I).

I think if you ask and arent snotty about it, it shouldnt be an issue. Or just let the conversation naturally go there.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Buttt - judging on facebook and myspace of old high school acquaintances and stuff - I think it's pretty half and half, if not more have/are in college than not.
    I attended a very rich snooty high school too - our graduating class was a little over 1,000.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 4:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Getting a college degree is nothing at all to be ashamed of, but I wouldn't walk around with your framed diploma or anything. I chose to skip my reunions so far, but if I go to the next one, I won't flaunt the education, but it won't be a secret either.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 4:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Yes, I went...and I have 3 college degrees...1 in nursing and 2 in graphic art and web design/art. A good bit of my friends went to college and became great things, some of what I'd never expect. I have one friend who is an Aerospace Engineer and has worked for NASA, another who is a Criminal and Family Law Attorney and has her own practice, one who graduated with a double major in biochemistry and biology and is a pharmaceutical sales rep in Hollywood, one who is a RN, one who is an English professor at a university, one who is a middle school math teacher, several who became elem. school teachers, etc. What amazed me was 2 of my friends who were extremely smart and graduated at the top 5% of the class ended up becoming housewives--one went to college and got a biology degree and did nothing with it and has no kids,,,the other battled and beat cancer and now became a mommy for the first time.
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 5:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Yes, I went to college, and so did a majority of my friends from HS, but not all of them. That was just my crowd. The new friends I've made since then have also gone to college, mostly.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Everyone I know went to college some even went to the air force academy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2009