My daughter freaks out when I hug my husband...

She will cry and run out of the room. We try group hugs with her. That doesn't work either... Is this common?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 4:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• she might just be super attached to her daddy and think he is hers and no one elses. try and give him hugs alone or in the kitchen out of sight untill you can figure this out.i would say try talking to her but shes is 2 ya know.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My DD is only 6 months and she flips when I hug my husband. He is her dada and she makes sure that I know that. This may be your problem.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 4:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Thanks for the heads up, I bet this will happen to me too. My husband is going to spoil the crap out of our daughter with all his attention
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 4:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Common. All three of my kids do that or try to come between us. They are jealous.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think it's pretty common for kids to go through stages of jealousy or clinginess, and maybe she is just having trouble dealing with the fact that she isn't quite the center of the universe and that you love other people too. All kids eventually learn that there are human relationships that don't involve them, and I think it's good for you to show affection with your husband and have an open & loving relationship with him. Even if it upsets her now, it will be good for her to be in a home where affection is displayed and where you don't have to sneak hugs & kisses. I'd ignore her running and crying, and just like other kinds of tantrums, it will probably stop. When you try family hugs, reassure her that she's important and you both love her, and she will be fine.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 4:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• also has he been gone for any amount of time??? i know when my hubby first came home from deployment riley would flip out if he left the house and always wanted to hug him and be up his butt. and now our sons starting to do that. freakin out everytime hubby walks by his room and doesnt pick him up or hold him ,and hes only 10 months old!!!** i guess i better prepar myself for when he leave again in a few monhts**
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 4:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Yeah, my boys would get upset when my hubby and I would show affection. I was "their mommy" not "his wife". But they grew out of it, and I'm sure your daughter will too.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Jealousy maybe? Over you or him ..or both?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• my 16month old laughs when we hug and kiss,he will kiss her themn me and so.now when we play around she thinks he is hurting me and cries.mabe give her a hug and say big hug,now im gonna hug daddy,big hug daddy
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2009