Is it normal for my baby to understand a lot of words and commands but not really talk?

When I say "sit down" he knows and will sit and he knows If You're Happy and You Know it, he will clap his hands at the right time. He doesn't say many real words escept ball, and he says it "BAAWWW", and num num, dada, mama, Nana(baby cousin Anna) and dayeee(baby). EVERYTHING is DA. He understands when you talk to him but doesn't know how to talk back yet. Is that normal for a 13-14 month old baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds good compared to my boys! Lol! But both my boys were very slow to talk. If he understands a lot and can follow simple directions, I personally, would not be concerned.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think he sounds perfectly normal. Communication isn't all verbal, so if it's clear that he understands and wants to interact, don't worry about it. My 1st talked in full clear sentences by 18 months and my 2nd is just now starting to make sense at 25 months, so each kid is different. I asked our pediatrician at what age they start to get concerned about not talking, and he said by about age 2, they should try to communicate with you and start to put 2-3 words together, even if only our own family can understand them. The range for "normal" for talking is like 12 months to 3 years, so don't stress too much and just keep working with him.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 5:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My daughter always talked a lot but my best friend daughter sounds a lot like yours. I think that is perfectly normal for a child that age.
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• We just started speech therapy for my 21/2 DD ,she understands, she just mimics you,she passed her hearing test,the therapist just told us,there isn't anything wrong with her speech,she said,because she walked at 9 months,she got her teeth at 5 months,she said we thought she was suppose to take off talking,when,she was 11 months,she was saying words. The speech therapist was more concern of her behavior,but,her speech is fine.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• girl u are lucky my daughter is 3 yrs old.. and speaks more chinese thanks to ki lan (noggin) and spanish thanks to dora then english.. she knows what i say to her but never talks back to me really.. my family keeps saying that she just dont have nothing to say but i get worried..
    texas_robin82

Answer by texas_robin82 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Comprehension is one of the first steps to language development. And being so young, there's no need to expect much more from him. A "normal" vocabulary range for 18 months is 10-50 words, and it sounds like he's well on his way to that. Just keep talking and reading to him, repeat the correct pronunciation when he says something, and it'll get better with age. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• That sounds 100% normal! xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 10:15 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• He's very young, and it sounds like he's right on track.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 28, 2009