Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who can help with disconnection help?

Is there anywhere in Wisconsin to get help with electricity or phone service? When you get unemployed. You have three children. Times are tough. What can be done? Why when you call the electric company they're so rude? If we were employed and had the money we'd pay like we always have in the past! The stress of being disconnected & going without is scaring & stressing me! Its affecting sleep. Even milk flow! Not good with a new born. Even my bleeding is worse! Can stress cause this! Is there anyway to turn to?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (5)
  • I don't think anyone has funds available right now. Ameren was issuing an Amnesty plan in Missouri. SE Missouri's funds were wiped out in about 3 days. Thousands are without electricity and East Missouri Action Agency's help list is about 40 pages long. Funds were enough to cover about 100 people or so. It's going to be tough everywhere this year.

    Answer by m-avi at 6:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

  • I'd call a church and ask them who to call. Each community seems to be different. We have a Caring and Sharing Program where the churches pool their money and S&C distributes money and food as needed. I'd call customer service at the electric co and talk with a supervisor and ask her what agencies help with electric bills. I don't know any agencies that help with phones though.

    Answer by admckenzie at 6:17 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

  • I don't know about where you live. But here in PA, if you take the shut off notice to the Public Assistance Office they will pay it.
    Good Luck!

    Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

  • Well if you are still bleeding from giving birth and its causing you health problems you need to call the Dr.

    The Dr may be able to write you altter saying it would be unhealthy to shut your elctricuty at this time.

    Claiming a medical emergency will get you time to find some help(I hope).

    Try Salvation Army, funds are tight everywhere. I had to be homeless for amonth even though I searched for help prior to being evicted.

    But I still  came online and worked and made some money while I was in that situation.

    I had a 19 month old and pregnant about due. You can do it.

    I'm changing my financial life for the best.  I had to make a hard decision.

    Keep going down the same road or take the chance with a trustworthy company and work to better myself.

    To hear what I did call:



    Answer by IraqiVetWife at 6:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

  • Call your utility company and tell them you are unemployed and have children in the house and they will refer you to the proper person to speak with. In California we pay about $ 65 a month to a fund that is for those who are unemployed to help pay their utilities.

    Answer by nanaevelyn at 6:33 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.