do u let your kids eat ever NOT in the kitchen?

.. my son is only two so right now.. its the high chair. lol.. but i just had this memory today of how i was not allowed to eat anywhere but the kitchen table growing up.. and when i was abt 9 my dad caught me in my room with a sandwich and got so upset.. he grabbed it from and guess what karmas a bitch.. he broke his finger.. i remember it very clearly bc it was the day before turkey day. and he went to the hospital.. and then i remember my best friends step dad being the biggest jerk when we would hang out in the family room as teen agers and watch roswell and eat.. charo chicken.. yummy.. her mom and step dad use to fight abt it.. bc my friend and i alwys picked up after ourselves.. so i think as long as my son tries not to make mess.. there will be times he can eat in front of the tv.. is this banned is your house...?

Rydersmommy616

Asked by Rydersmommy616 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• Like you, my son is in a high chair so it kind of doesn't apply right now.
    But no, it won't be banned in our home. As long as he picks up after himself, and doesn't leave a huge trail of crumbs everywhere, I'll be okay with it.
    I remember my mom would bring me cookies and milk and/or a sandwich while I was in my room doing homework or something. Or my mom bringing my friends and I tons of snack when they slept over and we'd be watching a movie or something.
    As long as I never made a mess and brought everything back, and rinsed the dishes - like you'd have to after dinner or something, she wouldn't say a word.
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 6:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think it can be great to sit over a snack or meal and have fun and talk. You can even have fun WITH the food. What's more important? Catching that show on tv or bonding with the kids? I will allow drinks around the house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i like for the kids to eat at the table. WHY? bc i dont want to clean up a mess and i dont want the kids to miss anything and have ants or anything then i dont want juice stains on the floor or anything sticky on the floor.. my parents let us eat where ever we wanted all i remember was dishes in ALL the kids room growing things lol. that would be another reason. as much as kids say they will clean up, kids are still kids and they dont always!.. BUT right now im stuck at my parents and they let the kids eat where ever they want. my daughter usually asks my dad to sit at the table with her though so i guess thats a plus.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:12 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Meals we eat in the kitchen. Snacks they can eat around the house as long as they clean up. Is they have a drink it needs to be in a sports bottle or something with a cover they can put back on after they take a sip. If it's a regular glass that stays in the kitchen.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My kids eat lunch and dinner in the kitchen, but almost everything else is eaten in the livingroom...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:35 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My kids are sitting on the couch/floor of the living room eating right now. We rarely ever eat in the kitchen (the table only seats 4 and there are 7 of us) and use the dining room table even less (only for holidays). The kids and my husband usually eat in the living room. I eat in my room at my desk so I can actually enjoy my food.
    We haven't ate at the table since the kids were toddlers (we moved after that and didn't have chairs for our kitchen table so ate in the living room...sitting on the floor because we didn't have a couch either).
    We found it works better for us this way. Holiday meals at the table always end in tears and me wishing I was anywhere but at the table.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• We don't have an eat-in-kitchen, so all meals are eaten in the dining room, as are most snacks. We used to be more lax about such things, but between all of the crumbs I was finding in the furniture, plates & glasses left in other rooms and, of course, the dogs begging for tidbits, I decided that all meals would be eaten only in the dining room and nobody has suffered for it. The mess is contained to the dining room table & the dogs know that when we sit down at the table for meals, they are to 'disappear' (usually they go into another room & lie down until we're finished eating). While sitting around the table together we have the opportunity to reconnect w/each other (a "captured audience", if you will...lol); it's really nice.

But, every family is different and needs to do what works for them & their lifestyle. What we do works for us.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• we do snacks in the living room. My dd doesn't use a high chair, hasn't since she was 15 mos. We try to do dinner at the table which if I was more persistant instead of doing one course at a time it would work MUCH better. And I'm sure my cough and carpet would be clean! But eh, it was a destroyed free couch
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It would depend on what we are having. If it is something messy than table..Once in a while we all eat in the livingroom.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No eating anywhere except the dining table or outside tables. Those are our rules. Keeps things organized and clean.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 11:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009