Is she just high pain tolerance or something else?

My dd has never really cried when she fell or anything. I think mainly because when she did I wouldn't gasp or really look at her until she started crying. Well, last night she slipped and fell in the tub and hit her head REALLY REALLY hard! I mean, it sounded like a crack!!!! She looked at me and I gasped and grabbed her immediately! I was already in the tub with her but didn't see the slip coming. She looked at me and said "ow". That was it!!! No crying, no wimpering NOTHING! Didn't even want me to hold her!!! Does she just have a high pain tolerance? Did it really not hurt? Or could there really be something wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• As long as she is acting normal, I wouldn't worry. It could have sounded a lot worse than it was. I am sure she would have let you know if she was in a lot of pain. Talk to her doctor about it the next time you are in there or call and talk to the nurse.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:29 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Um, does she seem normal today? I really wouldn't worry about it too much... I am sure if she feels pain and indeed it is true pain, she will let you know.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My cousin was the same way.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• There is medical conditions where you can't feel pain. I would have it checked out.
    sopheeahsmommy

Answer by sopheeahsmommy at 7:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• There is a "disorder" where you don't feel pain - my nephew has it. If he complains of pain, it's straight to the ER because he literally doesn't feel anything. His teachers & everyone knows it, if he says OW and is serious, don't wait. One of my dd's is going down the same path - she's had multiple various infections and we didn't know about them til we took her in for a different reason. She does whimper if she falls & scrapes something, but not like a "normal" kid. Ask her doc the next time you take her in. And as long as she's acting normal after that fall, and she doesn't have a dent in her head, she's likely fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Thank you for your input ladies! She doesn't have an indent but we go see the dr in the next couple days and I will def be bringing this up! I always thought she was tough but am wondering if it could be something more serious. Thanks again!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• i know kids with autism dont register pain the same way (high tollerance.) but that would take all the other symptoms, i am sure it could be a sign of something, i have seen kids on discovery health that didnt have the part of the brain that feels pain working correctly and would do the most dangerous things because they had no consequences because of the attention it would earn them... i would watch her for other funny signs and just see how it goes.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:47 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• My son had an ear infection so bad the ear drum was ready to burst....we found out almost by accident. I had taken in my second son to have his ears checked. The boys all had colds, the doctor went ahead and checked them all...and found the almost bursting infection.

He also never fussed while teething. We never knew he was teething until they were through!

He still seems to have a very high tolerance of pain.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 PM on Sep. 28, 2009