Do you really think it's acceptable to smoke marijuana when you're pregnant, breastfeeding, or just overall?

The past few months, I've seen a lot of marijuana or other illegal substance questions on here. Cocaine, stuff like that. It's been, "Do you think it's okay to smoke pot as long as you're in a ventilated room, but your kids are in the other room?"
Or just recently, smoking marijuana and breast feeding.
I've seen mixed responses with some of them. Yes, it's okay. Yes, but I would never do it. No, it's not okay. No, you HATE YOUR CHILD. Stuff like that.
Maybe I'm just narrow minded or what-have-you, but I think once you find out you're pregnant, you shouldn't be doing that kind of stuff anymore. You're a mother now, you should be a good role model for your kids. What you did in your past is in your past, but shouldn't you stop stuff like this once you've found out you have a little life on your hands?

What are your thoughts on this matter? Agree? Disagree?
Why or why not. No bashing, please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Pregnancy

• agree
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No I do not think is acceptable. In fact I think it is down right selfish and irresponsible and they mothers who do, do that shouldn't have kids IMHO.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I guess that I see smoking homegrown marijuana as being better than booze or cigarettes. Not that any of those are good for the pregnant woman or breastfed baby.

Why you would want to even take the chance at hurting the one you love the most in life is beyond me though.
    girlneffy

Answer by girlneffy at 6:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I agree, if pot is that important or any other substance, skip having a child and bury yourself in your habit and add to our disintegrating society.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 6:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I AGREE WITH YOU 100% I THINK ITS COMMON SINCE TO JUST STOP DOING ALL ILLEGAL THINGS UNLESS U JUST WANT TO LOSE YOUR KIDS. I WILL BE THE FIRST TO ADMIT I HAVE A COLORFUL PAST. BUT I ALSO LEARNED THAT IF U WANT YOUR KIDS TO BE HEALTHY HAPPY WELL ADJUSTED U NEED TO DO WHAT IS BEST FOR THEM AND THAT TO ME. MEANS STAYING HEALTHY YOURSELF AND OUT OF JAIL. I BELIEVE THAT U SHOULDNT EVER SPOKE POT OR ANYTHING ELSE AROUND YOUR KIDS. MY HUBBY AND I DONT EVEN SMOKE CIGS INSIDE. WE AVOID SMOKING AT ALL AROUND OUR DAUGHTER. JUST TO MAKE SURE SHE IS HEALTHY.
    texas_robin82

Answer by texas_robin82 at 6:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i agree, i used to be hardcore into drug but once i was pregnant i stopped and only smoked outside.and then i met my husband and he made me see the era of my ways. i do not think its acceptable to breastfed and smoke at the same time. the drs told me that even when you smoke cig's while breastfeeding alittle bit still gets to ur child.and to be honest if you want to smoke ok sure whatevZ. i smoke cigs myself but i do it in a way were it doesnt effect my kids. ie going outside not doing it in the car.and i think the same applies to drugs. its your addictions your problems not yours kids. they dont know ayn better yet.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 6:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It shouldn't happen but it does, it's immature and irresponsible, sorry but it is, when you start raising a family it's time to leave somethings in the past and move on.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think it varies. There are extremes and the not so bad. I used to smoke and stopped the day I found out I was pregnant. But then I was unable to eat ANYTHING and started loosing weight due to not keeping a single THING in my stomach... no prenatels, no water, no crackers.... no food! Dr gave me anit nausea meds and that didn't help worth sh*t. So, DH brought me a bowl, i took half a hit and was able to eat for the day. I then smoked only on weekends because I won't go to work after smoking. I started when I was 8 wks, stopped as soon as my morning sickness ended at the 1st ultrasound and I was 11 wks. Now I smoke ONLY when my child is being watched for the night at MIL's or moms which has only been 4 times in the last 2 years. I will not smoke in front of my kids EVER. I do think on occasion is fine, but everyday is excessive and a habit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I dont think you need to be pregnant to figure out its never good to do anything that can harm you.Just because your not carring a baby inside you doesnt mean your not worth living a perfect healthy life.
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 7:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I know someone who smoked a joint before going into the hospital. She maintained that the pot was better for the baby than the pain killing drugs they give you. Personally, I think it's stupid because you are putting your child at risk of ending up in Foster care, that's really poor parenting. On the other hand I am all for legalizing pot, even though I don't touch it.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2009