Am I being ridiculous over a mug?

So I bought my husband a huge coffee mug that says "World's Greatest Father" on it for his first father's day and he uses it DAILY! He loves that thing. Well, this morning he poured his coffee and we got called to someone's house to lunch so he brought his coffee mug. We were all sitting around and my niece who is almost three apparently picked up the mug and started to walk away because my sister asked her to bring it back, it wasn't hers. In the corner of my eye I see her keep walking and my sister did nothing else to make her obey and the next thing you hear is the shatter. I wanted to burst into tears. They did nothing to discipline her for it. They told her to apologize and she just went on to play with her toys. My feelings were so hurt and my husband's too. I am trying to look online for another one with no luck at all. My BIL even just said, "Sorry. Oh well."

Am I being silly? I really want to cry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• http://www.google.com/products?q=world%27s+greatest+father+big+mug&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=l_C_SqPOItDl8QbH8ozDAQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

(copy and paste, or google world's greatest father big mug. This one is almost two cups.)

Best Father Gifts Mug

$25.00 new

Zazzle

Best Father Gifts Mug

... For Fathers Celebrate the World's Greatest Daddy with these great t-shirts, mugs, ... that will appeal to the best Father ever. Two-Tone Mug, Maroon, 15

Answer by Bmat at 7:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It is understandable that you'd be mad and upset. Keep looking, you'll find another.

Answer by Bmat at 7:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No, I would honestly be upset too.
    It sounds like, not only did you two have a sentimental attachment to it, but it meant a lot to your hubby. And to not even get a proper apology from ANYONE is just bull crap. :'[
    I'm so sorry that it happened and I hope you find another one. *hugs!*
    K_Sawyer

Answer by K_Sawyer at 7:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Thanks! I feel like such a pansy but our feelings really were hurt and I don't know how to handle the situation.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It was your niece, so why didn't you have a talk with her? It takes a village and all that.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 7:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Let it go, and keep looking. If you remember where you got the mug try there, or even give them a call.

Answer by Bmat at 7:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think you need to let it go, they didn't handle it correctly, but what can you do? Most family fights start over something like this, why don't you talk to your sister and tell her how you fee. You know your niece didn't mean to do it. Go buy your hubby a new mug in the morning! I know your feelings are hurt, but don't read too much into their response! Good Luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No you are not being ridiculous. It was a sentimental thing.

Answer by louise2 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I can understand! This was a special gift for your DH. I would have reacted the same way. I feel terrible for you both, and hope that your sister comes to realize how important the mug is to you and DH. In my opinion, she should be the one looking for a replacement.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:07 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I'm not really close to my sister and her family so to me it would feel wrong to discuss something like that with her. I don't know if that makes any sense. I think we will have to wait for next year. It was from CVS and they only had it during the father day season.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Sep. 27, 2009