curious how other christian moms deal with this?

My daughter has been asking me for the tinkerbell movie and other disney movies. (shes 4) My MIL was asking what she wanted for Christmas and I was telling her a few things and she said tinkerbell is magic and evil? I thought what? since when? When I was growing up I remember watching shows that had magic in them....I know everyone remembers sabrina the teenage witch. My mom always explained to me the difference between reality and fantasy. I want my daughter to know that their is a difference. I don't want her to live under a rock! So what do you do? Do you explain it to them and let them still watch? or do you explain it and not let them watch?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Seriously... this is even an issue. Unless you lock this child in a room with no chance of living in the real world, it's hopeless. You have to be the one who explains the difference between right and wrong to your child. A movie, is a movie. Tinkerbell was created to be a child's movie... that's it... a child can't read into a movie like an adult... THANK GOD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:21 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It's called having an imagination.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• There are such things called stories, the Bible is full of them! I think your MIL has her panties on a little too tight. I will not allow my son to watch the trash that is on TV Family Guy etc.. but Disney is so good for his imagination! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 7:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• why only christian mothers? is my opinion not good enough or something?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I know many Christians who don't let their kids watch those movies. I don't have a major problem with the fairy tale ones. Fairy tales are fiction and not presented as real life. It would just not make a big deal out of it with your mil and do what you and hubby have decided with your kids. I watched them and knew they weren't real! On the other hand, I understand some Chrisitans concern with them. The Bible gives some very strong warnings against any form of witchcraft!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 7:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Well on the grounds of the Bible witchcraft/sorcery/talking to spirits and the like are all an abomination. Cause spirits we all know are demons and why would any God loving person want to talk to one. Theo nly thing I would have to say is get away from me lol. Now does she know that Christimas itself is pagan? I really t hink it's not THAT your daughter watches it, BUT why she watches it. Does she want to do magic and put spells on people *for such things are an abomination* OR does she just enjoy the story? I think it's the motive behind your actions not the actions themselves so much. But above all of the advice you get from here ask God. Ask your heavenly father what you should do :) God bless
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 7:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• All these movies are is the product of imagination. There is nothing wrong with letting your child use their imagination....in fact it's perfectly healthy!!! Tell her to pound sand!! Let the kid watch Tinkerbell!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• these movies are not just a production of imagination. they encourage an agenda. The belief that magic works, that it's ok. teaching your child lies and fairytales is well not a good thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Fairytales are using your imagination...why is that such an issue? Do people fear their child actually using their mind, because then they may start questioning things being fed to them about your God?
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• When I was a child, I never put together that Tinkerbell or any other fantasy movie was bad. I never thought about becoming a witch (no offense) just because I watched the Wizard of Oz. I think some of these things can get carried a little too far. Personally I don't think it's wrong for our children to watch these. It sure as heck beats what's on tv these days.
    Littlebit722

Answer by Littlebit722 at 8:16 PM on Sep. 27, 2009