Why is it that so many people believe soldiers have huge paychecks and/or that things like on-post housing are free?!

I have been completely shocked by some posts I have seen all over this site (answers, journals, groups, etc) that are based on this belief. The most recent was one that bashed military families who use WIC and such programs. It actually said in part of it, "...and if they can't afford groceries, then they should live on base and use what they were paying in rent"!

My husband is an E-4, and he brings in a monthly total of just over $2600. Furthermore, we live off-post because it is actually CHEAPER (the Army takes away part of a soldier's pay when they live on-post)!

As with so many other topics discussed on this site, PLEASE research before you go accusing!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Haha I know it!
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 7:37 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It's cheaper to live off of base? Well, then what's the point of living on base? . . . not bashing, just curious . . . we're not a military family.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Because they have never bothered to find out. They just assume that there is some huge pay because it is from the federal government. When my son was stationed in Key West, his housing (on base) was whatever his basic allowance for housing was. The daycare was cheaper on base, but was still $400 per month.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• People who aren't or haven't been in or married to anyone in the military just don't know - because they don't know. I guess we all assume that the damn government SHOULD provide housing - since you're providing a damn good service to the country. I honestly didn't know how the housing worked until I came on CM and saw the posts about it. But I still say, they should provide the housing AND pay our soldiers. I can see you paying your utilities, but I don't think it's right to charge for the housing on base.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 7:51 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Oh, I have heard several people say that military pay bites unless you're high up on the totem pole.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• When a military member decides to live on base/post with his wife or family first they have to wait on a list averages for that wait go from 3 months to 3 yrs. Depends on the duty station. When you move into housing you lose your BAH (basic allowance for housing). Your BAH is defined by time and grade in service. Occaisionally, it is less expensive to live off base/post. When you live in housing it is like having a home in the most anal HOA on the earth. Many young families choose to live in Apts off base because they can't afford all the equiptment required to maintain a yard. If you get hit for...say a yard inspection and it isn't rectified in the specified time..they notify your command. How many civilians can say their boss gets called because they didn't mow the lawn. Yeah, this is a touchy one for me. 19 yrs Navy daughter, 28 yrs Navy wife, 8 yrs Army Mom. Lived on base 14 yrs altogether.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• OP HERE:

Just in case someone around here decides to make MORE assumptions....I personally do not use WIC. We are considering it now though, because all of the stuff he has to buy for work (yes, soldiers have to buy a lot of there gear and such themselves) is taking a toll on our bank account.

We were only engaged when he deployed, and I became pregnant right before he left. I did not have insurance, and we obviously could not get married with him overseas, so I had no choice but to apply for Medicaid. It was embarassing, and I felt completely judged by the people who worked there (apparently they only believe you need assistance if you walk in sporting raggedy pj pants and a sloppy ponytail!) You know what though? Even though I could have, I did not renew my government insurance after my six-week check-up. I, like so many others, used PA only as I needed it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• ** "their" gear
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• $2600 a month is ALLOT more than allot of 2 income familys bring home! Stop complaining! You could be SOO much worse off than what you think you are.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i really dont like the military. I think they use their soldiers to do the dirty work and they dont get justly compensated. Only my opinion, but I seriously think that when a soldier is done with his service, the government should supply them with a house fully paid, or at least an apartment paid for by them every month, a car and no more taxes. I'm not a political person, but i do know someone that served his country and when he got out, his va loan didnt go through and now he cant even find a job. they've since had to move in with his wife's mom. I just think its unfair. Such brave men and women, i just think they should get something awesome.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009