Homework - better late than never

This week's discussion is already over and done, but it was a fun one, so I'll throw it out here anyway.
It's Darwin vs Intelligent Design week in class (stop making that face!)
So here's the discussion - Hume criticizes the original theory of ID (aka The Old or Classic Design Theory) because it compares the universe to a machine, and he points out the ways that's not a good comparison.

So here's this week's question - is the universe like a machine, and if so how, and if not, why not?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• dang...ive read that Hume article for a philosophy class, but dont remember much of it.

i do not like the "God is the Clock Maker" theory. it puts too many things into specifics which is just setting us up for failure. the universe doesn't work as perfect or as simple as a machine. but im not a full believer in Darwin or ID...i dont think science & religion has to butt heads about these things, you can believe in parts of both.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:11 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i am NOT doing your homework for you. you wouldn't learn anything that way
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

Whatever, sweetie. Like I said, it's already said and done. Every week I put up part of the discussion question from my class to discuss HERE and compare the answers to what comes up in class. Feel free to search my question history where I've explained it multiple times. Trust me, the actual course work is FAR more complicated than this.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• the universe is designed by God who created everything in due measure, it is not a machine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 9:27 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

The Old Theory of ID states that the universe being like a machine is what proves God created it...
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Do you all get a functional kind of religious discussion to as opposed to this kind of stuff? This seems so much like information spitting. It might be my professor's style compared to your professor's style.

The universe is like a machine though. Everything works like gears in a specific pattern.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:52 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• Do you all get a functional kind of religious discussion to as opposed to this kind of stuff?

It's a straight philosophy class. A horribly truncated one, at that. We are ONLY allowed to work within the confines of the pre-defined monotheistic God (omnipotent, eternal, exempt from the laws of time and space, and perfect). Polytheism, Deism and Agnosticism are not allowed. Based on the little "introduce yourself to the class" bit from the first week, everyone but me is either a Christian or an atheist/agnostic. This is the first week someone brought up polytheism as an alternative (and it wasn't me), so at least I'm not the only one who sees how stupid it all is.
    I think the prof is getting a little aggravated, though - the one asking the most "good" questions is the kid who just finished 12 years of Catholic school and is spreading his agnostic wings.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:06 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• NP, that's really crusty. I wish you had my professor. I am currently picking apart the musical Tommy and saying where it contains Paul Tillich's Ultimate Concerns and Pargament's Conversion of Significance.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 2:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2009