Do you buy your child's food based on nutrition or what they like even if it's unhealthy? What do you think of mother's who do the oposite of you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I try to find a happy medium, in other words things that are healthy but that they still like to eat!
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 8:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• You know what? That is a great question. I buy what he likes even though he can't speak yet. But I'm so unsure of what to buy, because I want to buy table food and make sure he has a meat everyday. Canned adult food ia the same price if not cheaper than jar baby food. Honey, I always catch myself feeding him spaghetti O's or campbells soup or ramen noodles with either animal crackers, apple sauce or yogurt for dessert. If he's pooping and peeing then I feel like I'm feeding him correctly.
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 8:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I try to get what they like and healthy things- that way i can put something they like and something good for them on the plate and they usually eat everything together so we are all happy! oh and queentdi- u should watch out about that because the canned foos usually have way too much salt and sugar especially for little kids- if you are looking for a cheaper way of doing it you can do what i did- by the little pastina, or mini pastas and make your own healthier version of the things your son likes- and you can even throw in frozen peas into pasta sauce for him- they cook so well that they aren't a choking hazard and add some extra vitamins in to whatever u r making
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Both! I always offer my kids nutritious snacks and meals. If they eat well at all their meals then they get a treat that may or may not necessarily be the most nutritious choice. As for what I think about mother's that do opposite as me, I really don't care b/c I'm not the one having to deal with an unhealthy, malnurished child. Healthwise, if you don't instill good nutritional habits early, then they will more than likely be less apt to try new foods, more apt to eat unhealthy, have a higher chance of obesity, diabetes, heart issues, unhealthy teeth, low metabolism, and many many more health issues. The mothers who feed their kids with unhealthy foods are more than welcome to have those issues...but for me, I'll take the higher road and make the choice to think of my kids' health FIRST!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Both. I would prefer that what they eat is healthy. But if they won't eat it, does it matter??

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:50 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I buy about 90% based on nutrition but I also let my daughter pick some things to that I wouldn't necessarily buy if she didn't ask for them. Mostly the stuff she asks for is stuff with characters on the package. Luckily they've started putting characters on healthier stuff like low fat cheese sticks and low sugar yogurt so I'm happy to buy the things she asks for.

I started with healthy stuff from the very begining. When she was old enough to eat solids we always went with whole grains, lean protiens, fresh produce, etc. so she LIKES healthy stuff and rarely asks for the unhealthy stuff.

I do NOT agree with filling the cart with junk (fried chips, sugary cereals, helpers, etc.) but the occational treat is okay in my book.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Nutrition. The growing rates of obesity and malnutrition in American children (nearly 50%) and diabetes (one third of the people born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes) are scary.

I let my daughter pick a treat at the store; she usually picks sushi or fresh raspberries.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• always always healthy. rarely an exception
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 9:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• What others do is no concern of mine, unless they MAKE it my concern.

Healthy is always the goal. Do I reach it all the time? Heck no.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I started out with the best nutritional intentions ever, but sometimes it boils down to getting the baby fed.

My 1 year old still nurses and I try to get at least one serving of vegetables,meat and fruit in him each day. To do this I usually have to bribe him with 1 to 3 servings of yogurt and stuff bites of food into his mouth inbetween cheese crackers or gerber graduates puffs. The deal is if he eats what I want him to, then he gets his yogurt. I use yogurt as his "dessert" otherwise he would just fill up on it.

Hey, provided you aren't stuffing your kids with nutritionally void foods at every meal time and every snack and have a healthy weight child who will consume some vegetables, etc., I'm a fan of whatever works.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:20 PM on Sep. 27, 2009