Did I get scammed?

http://www.eves-best.com/babesafe-mattress-covers.htm

I purchased a mattress wrap a few months ago. I had thought I researched well, but how can you when you have the internet to base it upon only. I never found a negative site, but a friend I had told did her own research and says its a quack. Our doctors have no idea what we are talking about, and she found that his research might not even be real. Not only that but I had to email this Dr.Sprott b/c my mattress wrap is giving off a bad smell, and they are going to send me another one. Would they send a new one if it was a scam? I am not sure what to believe now. My mattress is a fire safe mattress which is what I am scared of, the chemicals that resist fire. I am so MAD if I was gullable enough to let a man prey on my fears.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know how they could make the claim that no babies have ever died of SIDS when using this product....doesn't seem like a reasonable statement...I mean, how could they know that??
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• WHAT?? THATS CONFUSING what do ur drs have anything to do with a matress wrap? lol and Dr Sprott sold it to u?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• All I saw at first glance in his research is a reference to a paper showing that there is a connection with ventilation in warm rooms and a decrease in sids. He claims this is proof that the fans are blowing away toxic chemicals, which I have never heard before. I have, however, been told that overheating may be a very real part of sids. I would take everything he says with a grain of salt after that misrepresentation of other peoples research. However IMO whatever you feel makes your child safer you should do as long as it is legal.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 8:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• oh and note Dr Sprott has a Doctorate in Chemistry, he is not a Doctor of Medicine.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 8:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Considering doctor's aren't even positively sure what causes SIDS I can't believe that this wrap can guarantee a prevention of SIDS.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• That was shown to be a major waste of time and space several years ago!!! His "study" results were never able to be duplicated, he failed to control for SEVERAL variables.

The toxic chemicals of which he writes were not used in mattresses for fire retardation for years before he did his "study". These same chemicals were also found in the FLEECE that mothers in his study used for their babies....he had them stop using the fleece at the same time he had them wrap the stupid mattress.

He wraps the mattress with plastic (which by the way you can buy at the HARDWARE STORE) which will make the baby WARMER and yet other officials say to keep them cooler to "prevent" SIDS.....

You were scammed BIG TIME.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I would not trust any site not trusted by the BBB.....i would indeed take in consideration the outcome this has made, i would not allow them to sell another mattress wrap to a scared new mommy once again....

Call the hotline, ask them for your money ....if not ....make a police report....

good luck!!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think they r a good idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• The fact that I am noticing a smell from this mattress wrap that is supposed to not generate anything (my babys clothes smell of it after sleeping in crib) worries me. grr im confused.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I don't think it is a scam as much as I think it is faulty science that plays on our fears. The more I tried to find info about mattress wrapping the more it pointed to the one dr. and his research. No where could I find another study or a national sponsored study or anything that backed it up. The few placed online where I saw they sold these wraps all sold them from his company.

Annon 8:57 do you have any sources that show the research was invalid? I would love to see them.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009