Weaning formula to milk and bottles to cups...

Hey if anyone can give me some sound advice I would so appreciate it. I've been crazy looking on the internet for advice and nothing seems like it's appropriate. My twins are 1 years old. They have been difficult with every stage of drinking bottles to getting them to eat. Now it's time to get them into drinking milk, which I can't wait to not have to make bottles and buy formula!!! But they will not either drink it from the sippy cup. My daughter just plays with the cup, chews on it. I tried putting their formula in the cup and they won't take it. I don't know if I can just quit the bottles all together - they won't get the fluid intake they need - both are still peanuts. I've started mixing the formula with milk in the bottle and they are taking that now. But if then they are getting milk in the bottle, will I have a hard time getting them off the bottle? Just out of my mind with what to do...

LilNuggets

Asked by LilNuggets at 8:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Dont mix the formula with milk!!! What kind of sippys do you have? the ones with handles babies tend to play with. With my dd, who has been easy with everything, it took me 1 night. Be firm. Its best to do this when hubby is around or someone else for support or maybe an adult time out if the little ones throw tantrums. At the beginning of the day I offered the sippy with formula, I opened it and allowed her to take a lick of it off my finger so she knew what it was, if she fussed for the bottle I gave it to her with ONLY water. Later in the afternoon I gave milk in the bottom, same idea as before, and then in the evening I threw the bottles completely away. Good luck and you can stretch this idea to suit your children and their progress:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• "Later in the afternoon I gave milk in the bottom" I meant to write bottle:)
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• well i had the same issue with my daughter when she was 1. Finally after 2 weeks i got tired of it and made her throw all her bottles in the trash and told her she was a big girl and would not be using the baby bottles no more.. after a day of whining for her bottle she finally started to drink out of her sippy cup. i also suggest using hard nipple sippy cups. my daughter bit the nipples of her sippy cups do to teething.. so may help u avoid that problem.. lol
    texas_robin82

Answer by texas_robin82 at 9:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I never put anything except formula in my son's bottles. Milk always went in a cup. (He also didn't take sippy cups at all, but he would use straw cups with no problem, so that's what we did.) At first he wasn't sure about the taste, so I put some chocolate syrup in it a few times, and that solved that. (And no, it didn't get him hooked on chocolate milk; I quit the chocolate after two days and had no problems with him drinking plain milk after that.)

So my experience: Nothing but formula in the bottle. Try different cups to see which kind they like the best and will use. And be creative with the milk (it doesn't have to be chocolate; try blending some strawberries in).
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:55 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My son HATED sippy cups, at least the kind with the seal to stop them from leaking. We had to used the Tupperware kind thats just a lid with a spout in it. We ended up taking the seals out of all the sippy cups we had been given and using them like that. They leak a little bit but not like an open glass does. We made the transition to regular cups within a couple months and it was easy. As my mother pointed out, she never had sippy cups and we managed at a year or so.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 10:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I offered water in the bottle and milk in the cup for the first few days. Then I got rid of the bottles. I also found that most kids who don't like the non-spill sippy's, do like the old school ones with the spout.
    Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2009