If you've ever gone from being a SAHM to a Working Mom...How hard was it? How did your kids take it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in General Parenting

• I waited until the children were in school, then I got a part time job so I could be home when they were. I explained that they'd need to do more around the house and gave them their extra tasks. They were fine with it. Until they realized it wasn't just a couple times, that it was all the time. Then they grumbled. But it didn't hurt them to do more than they had before.

Answer by Bmat at 9:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My sister's kids said it was "weird" to hear their mom say she had to go to work. LOL! They didn't like it that my mom would pick them up from school or that my sister wasn't always available for them. She was a full on SAHM. So her kids weren't used to her spending time without them. Don't get me wrong, she's not a single mom, just a control freak. (DS-8yo; DD-6yo)
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Can I give you a perspective from the child of a SAHM who went back to working? I was 12 and my brother was 10.

When Mom was home, we honestly didn't appreciate her at all. We didn't start appreciating her until she went back to work and we learned she had talents far beyond cooking and cleaning.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• i think because i was in school i didnt know she was actually working while i was at school
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 9:26 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I went back when the kids started school and worked while they were in school. It didn't phase the kids until I changed jobs to nights and they were like wheres mom. As for me it was really hard to get back into the swing of things in the work force. My body hated me....lol.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think it was harder on me! My older ones were in school and my 2 year old began staying with my cousin so it was a liitle bit of a jolt for them but they adjusted right away. Then their dad began working part time so he could be at home with them during the day. Now, he is back to full time and the younger ones have started daycare and they are already loving it! I think they are just happy to be able to play with other kids during the day.
    momof3jll

Answer by momof3jll at 10:47 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I havent yet but soon will be making the change. Im a little nervouse to see the outcome. my son has always had me at home with him. :(
    brikay1

Answer by brikay1 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 28, 2009