What would you do?

I've been attending Everest Institute to study Med. Assisting. I'm over halfway done, but have just recently started hearing about all the people who can't find jobs, because Everest is on their resume. It seems they have a reputation of putting out students that don't know much and aren't willing to try. Which is definately not me. I love the field and want to learn so much more.

But, the thing is I have 5 kids at home, 1 in college and another on the way, I work weekends and my dh works weekdays. I go to school during the time the kids are in school, but if I weren't I could be working (we are extremely tight right now).

I hate to think I'm wasting time that I could be working when I'm probably not going to get a job in the field anyway. But still, I have to pay back the whole tuition even if I drop out now.
So, what would you do if you were in my situation?

kristinas8

Asked by kristinas8 at 9:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Money & Work

• If you are halfway done, you might as well finish. Good luck!
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 9:10 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Try to get on somewhere to get field experience so they can vouch for your work. I wouldn't give up this far in. Believe in yourself, and keep striving to reach your goals.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 10:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Your school should help with job placement. Go to career services now and see if you can intern or shadow at an office. You need an "in" and that's what schools are supposed to provide. Even if it is 2x a month, an "in" is great.

Ask a professor for a special letter of recommendation. Ask him or her to put you in touch with a colleague in the work force.

Also, evaluate the source of this info-- did someone who is angry make this statement about your school?
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:13 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would also stick it out. You are halfway to your certificate. If at all possible, take a look at your income and expenses...is there any way to stretch the money you already have? I know you must feel like you are wasting your time, but it is better to finish the program. Even if the rumors are true...you can work outside the field at that time...bide your time and luck out transfering to a position in your desired field. If you would like help with ideas to stretch your money...let me know, I am happy to help any way I can. I switched my household spending to the internet, with Aisle19, and have saved almost 500.00 in just a few months. I also started using the bulk section of the supermarket more...it all adds up it may be enough to ease the stress though. I wish you luck,
    Cheapsk8mom

Answer by Cheapsk8mom at 5:08 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• For-profit schools exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you.

That said, you may have signed a contract that forces you to complete the program.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:39 AM on Sep. 28, 2009

• are you sure your source of information is reliable? Are you absolutely sure that this is the reputation of the school and not someone trying to be discouraging to you? or have a personal agenda against the school? Or simply want to blame the school for their own lack of fitting?

How is the school for you? do you feel its a good fit for you? Do you feel you are learning? What kind of job placement program do they have? Do they have internships? Have you visited the career center, and have first hand experiences for this rumor, for at this point based on what you wrote, its only hearsay, and very concerning hearsay at that, but before you react, I think you need to do investigative work and get first hand information for yourself? I don't know anything about the school, I've only gone to state colleges, both community and four year. But if your feeling unsure about your decision, you need to interview the school.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 11:50 PM on Sep. 28, 2009

• I would visit career center, guidance, and staff, and directors, I would do outside research, and find out about the job placement and income for those jobs. I would look up how the school is recognized in the field, visit people in my chosen field and ask them how they did it, and I would compare, price, curriculum and services provided. I would do book research and use career centers to research the carreer of my choice, also, online has such search engines, and look up what kind of education, and how to get to where I want to go. and I would check to see if I am on that route.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 11:55 PM on Sep. 28, 2009