Am I being a bad daughter by moving 2 hours away with my children?

My husband & I are moving 2 hours from home. We are both college students & we're moving for school. It's a GREAT opportunity for us. We can live on campus for very cheap (nice 3 bedroom home for less than 400), there's a daycare on campus with a great reputation, an excellant preschool as well, & great school programs for both of us.

The thing is we have 2 children and my sister & her boyfriend are planning to move too. Her boyfriend just happed to pick the same school as my DH & her school that she was already attending when she got pregnant is only 45 mins from the place we're planning to move.

We're all very excited because we are getting to move to a great place but will still have each other.

Well that means 3 grandchildren (only 3 in the family) will be moving 2 hours away.

My mom is FLIPPING OUT! We've explained to her how good this would be for us but she hates us for it! Are we bad daughters?!?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Relationships

• No. Your mom is just exercising her right to be selfish. For her to expect you to give up an opportunity would make her a bad mom.

Two hours is NOTHING! I used to commute farther than that ONE WAY every day!

Answer by gdiamante at 9:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• By the way...there's NO REASON ON EARTH she can't see you on as many non-school days as you can stand her.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:32 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Hell no...You are doing what is best for your family,,,,& honestly your mother should be happy for you. Yes she will miss you but she will move on & realzie its for the best ...who said you're never going back.
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• No, you are not being a bad daughter. Your mother is just being a little selfish at the moment. It is okay for her to miss ya'll, BUT a GOOD MOM always wants what is best for her children, and it sounds like moving 2 hours a way is just that.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:34 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• NO WAY are you a bad daughter i want to go finish my education at a school 2hours away from where i am right now too but the great opportunity that you have right now is not available to me. i would have to get a place and pay for daycare which is something i can't do right now. so heck yea go for it !!!!!!
    smiley83

Answer by smiley83 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• It's just that she was really awful to my sister and I when we talked to her about it today. She told us we didn't know what we were doing because we are "just kids."

Maybe this sounds stupid but that really hurt me. Yes I'm only 21 and my sister is only 18 but we both work HARD, we go to school, we are completely devoted to our kids and we do they very best for them no matter what it takes.

My DH and I have been married for 4 + years, we have a 2 year old and a baby, we pay our bill, do not get PA, and we are completely dedicated to our family. My sister works 2 jobs and goes to school all while scheduling this around so that she can spend plenty of time with him.

We are young but we're not immature, we are responsible and honestly we are not children any more.

We don't want to hurt her. We really don't but it's time for us to move away, start our lives and experience somewhere else besides our home town.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My parents would be THRILLED if we were only 2 hours away. I am an only child and my kids are my parents' ONLY grandkids, we live 6 hours away right now and there's a good possibility we may be moving even further away in the next year. Your parents need to be thankful you are only going to be 2 hours away...2 hours is nothing.

abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 9:47 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Hey sweetie PLEASE contact me I would love too talk with you in regaurds to this I am in the exact same situation with a different twist or two, but I really don't wanna go into it cause cewrtain family members of mine are also on here, but would love to chat with you..ASAP TTYL Sweetie
    Korysmom96

Answer by Korysmom96 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• 2 hours? My mom would be sooo happy with that. She is still happy for us...and we live in a different country. We do visit and she visits. You have to do what is best for you and your family. She should be happy for you!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• You are not a bad daughter. Two hours away is doable for a weekend. Many families are much further away. It is sad when your children move away but we have to do what is best for our own families. After school you may move closer to her. Who knows? She is just feeling sad and lonely already. The kids grow up so fast. She will miss some things. While it is a good move for you, she knows her time with these precious babies will be limited. Give her love and reassurance about the relationship and that you want to keep it in tact. grannywilson
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 10:13 PM on Sep. 27, 2009