Are you proud of what you do for a living(SAHM's included)?

Do you feel ashamed or proud to tell people what you do? I'm a Librarian for a large County library district. I have a Master's in Library and Information Science which is a requirement for any state/county/college/city librarian. Since most people don't know that you need a Master's to be a librarian, people always say 'oh interesting' and then sort of roll their eyes. People have even asked if I'm a volunteer! I know it's sort of snooty to want people to think my job is cool or that I'm doing 'great things' but I also worked hard and had to go to college for 6 years to do it! How do you feel about telling people what you do? Am I the only one who wishes my jobs sounded more impressive? Even my own parents don't think much of my career!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I am a OB RN and am very proud of my job and love what I do.

I have always told my children "I don't care what you want to be when you grow up, just be the best one you can and be proud of what you do."

If the snotty eye rollers bother you, respond with something like "most people don't realize you have to have a Master's degree for this position........what are the educational requirements for your job?" and smile innocently.

obrn4u

Answer by obrn4u at 11:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I would love to have a really cool job that sounded important but i cook, clean, and change poopy diapers all day. lol just kidding i love being a sahm but sometimes it would be nice to get a little break and try something new.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I am proud to tell people that I am a SAHM. I have been for the past 23 years, homeschooled my sons for 9 years and enjoy my job caring for my family. People can eye roll all they want but I am fine with what I do.

Personally, I think that being a librarian is a very cool job! :-)
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My sister is currently a Special Education Teacher's Aide. She has a bachelor degree in psychology, and had to go through more classes to become a certified special education teacher. However, when find out that her job requires her to do things like, oh, change the diaper of a 19 year old with autism....they treat her like a second-class citizen, or even feel sorry for her. She loves working with special needs children, and I am damn proud of her because not many people are really cut out for doing what she does!
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I am a total bookworm, so I would LOVE to be friends with a librarian! I would also love to be one! Never let anyone make you feel low for what you do!
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 9:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I'm a proud SAHM and housewife. It's the best career choice I could have possibly made. I too hate it when people make assumptions about my brains based on my career choice. I have 3 degrees and a great brain (I'm eligible to join several high IQ societies because my IQ places me in the top one millionth of the population) and drive. I just also have a family and a home to take care of and there is no job more important than taking care of them. Once the kids are in school I'll do something part time, maybe I'll use my massive brain power to cure cancer in my kitchen ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I work very PT at Starbucks, mainly just to get out of the house. The schedule works for me and it has GREAT benefits and suits me perfectly since I am a HUGE coffee lover. I love my job and yes, every part of it.
    I have a ton of experience in a variety of feilds including grant writing, administration, human resources, etc. but this is what works for me and my family right now.
    I try to explain it to people but they never get it. To them, I am just a coffee shop girl without an education.....most of my coworkers are actually in the same boat, most of them with degrees.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 10:19 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I am very proud to tell people that I'm a SAHM because not everyone is able to do that. We had to make serious adjustments so we can make it but it's definatly worth it.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• One of my good friends works in a library-- I think she has a GREAT job! (I love books and love to read).
    As for my job, yes I am proud to admit what I do for a living-- I am a full time mom, and part time work at home data entry op.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I am currently a SAHM because I just had a baby 3 mos. ago, and I am not currently able to work outside the home due to schedule conflicts. I'm a Licensed Practical Nurse who has worked in psychiatric, Corrections (I've worked in a prison and a jail), geriatrics, long term care, and geri-psych. I have also done in-home nursing care of a total care 13 yrs. old boy. I loved nursing and still do, but after having a baby 3 mos. ago, I'm afraid that if I go back to nursing full time, I'll miss out on a lot of the things with him that I missed out on with my daughter. I don't want that to happen. My husband understands my feelings. I do want to go back to work though, not as a nurse though. I actually went back to college and got 2 college degrees in Graphic Art and Web Design/Art. I want to work in graphic art, but I'm not having much luck finding a job that fits our schedules. I'm proud of all I've accomplished though.
    JamiDesigns

Answer by JamiDesigns at 10:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009