How do I know if an insect bite is dangerous?

We went camping a few days ago and I noticed a big drop of blood on the back of my son's neck but didn't see anything underneath it. A bite developed and I assumed it was a mosquito bite. But today it is super red and kind of has a rough texture, but it isn't raised like a mosquito bite would be. It is smaller than the size of a dime. There is no "bullseye rash"typical of lyme disease. Should I be concerned?

betheroo

Asked by betheroo at 9:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Health

• Watch for fever. Circle the red spot, if it grows or gets any red lines, go in asap.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Probably not. If your son were to have an allergic reaction with trouble breathing, he would have already had it. It's probably just a bit of inflammation from the mosquito bite. They affect my granddaughter like that too. She develops huge red areas, and she scratches them, which makes them worse.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:53 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• is it bothering him? How old is he will he sit still if u look at it? use a magnifying glass to see.. remember spiders have to little dots and most dont raise they turn red and itch.. if its rough to touch and tender he needs to go to the doctor.
    texas_robin82

Answer by texas_robin82 at 9:54 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Is there a red line coming off of it? If so it could be a spider bite - otherwise there are 1000 different dozens of kinds of bites he could have..... watch it and if it has progressed in the morning - it's doctor time just to be safe. GL though
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:59 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Sometimes I get bites that are red at first and then a couple days later raise up. If it seems inflamed, or if you notice lines leading from it, then it needs to be checked.

Answer by Bmat at 10:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Thanks everyone! That's a bit of a relief for now. Maybe he has just irritated a mosquito bite by scratching at it. I will keep an eye on it.
    betheroo

Answer by betheroo at 11:48 PM on Sep. 27, 2009