What do you do to get your kids to eat???

Just about everyday, my boys (age 4 and 2) refuse to eat. I make them breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also have snacks (yougurt, cheese, applesauce, crackers ect.) I try to make things they like but also keep it healthy. They take a bite or two and say they are done. My husband says we need to make them sit there and finish their plate. I disagree. I'm not sure how they function and the small amount of food they eat sometimes. They are very healthy otherwise. Neither have been sick for over a year. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:49 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Kids go through stages like that, where sometimes they'll eat more than everyone else in the house, and sometimes they'll barely eat anything. The times when they barely eat are worrisome to parents, but they're probably getting plenty. Kids eat when they're hungry and don't when they're not; we're not hardwired to eat when we're bored or just because there's food there, it's a learned behavior. There have been studies that show if you force kids to clean their plate, they tend to get and eat more when they're older than kids who eat what they want, when they want. And keep in mind that kids that age only need about a quarter of the calories we as adults need, which adds up to only 500-600 calories a day, which isn't a lot to us by any stretch of the imagination. But it's enough for them. If it lasts long enough that their growth or behavior suffers, worry, but not until then. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:01 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• well I hope they havent been sick for over a year lol. My dd (15months) isnt a picky eater so all i have to do is give her her own plate and her own fork, and she will eat and make a mess of what i give her. Cant do much else for you otherwise, mine are still young. GL I hope you get lots of advice
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:52 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• Only put one or two bites worth on their plates - it's better to let them have seconds than to throw away food , right. Heck, with kids, they might turn into little hollow legs if they think you're only giving them a bite and that's all. They are funny little creatures. My boys had eating seasons - one was a big eater in the winter, the other in the summer. Then one year, out of the blue, they flipped the other way around.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:56 PM on Sep. 27, 2009