What do you think of the saying: Who a person is truly shows by the way they treat their waiter?

Ive been a server for 5 years and SERIOUSLY think its true.

dennysgirl07

Asked by dennysgirl07 at 10:02 PM on Sep. 27, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've been a wiatress for a looong time. I have worked in the service industry my entire life. Generally, customers are all pretty decent. Every now and again you will have someone who assumes that because you 20 and working in fast food you are a high school drop out without any ambition, etc... and they will even occasionally tell this to your face.
    I have delt with people who questioned my being pregnant and not being married and have had people assume that I spit in their food- seriously.

I have learned to treat every person (wheather while at work or not) the same way. I try to assume that everyone is good- If someone really rubs me the wrong way, I remember that they were once a newborn (cheesy, yes) and that perhaps something really shitty happened in their life to make them act the way they do towards me.

I have found that I get good tips from people who look "bad" and bad tips from people who look "good".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• LOL that sounds pretty accurate to me. I feel sorry for a lot of the waitresses and waiters I see, when the people at a near by table are giving them a hard time I leave a bigger tip.
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 10:04 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I believe that to some extent it is true. I suspect that someone can be a rat and still be charming to their waitperson. But a nice person will be nice to everyone.

Answer by Bmat at 10:05 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think that is true in most cases. And I have only had one unfriendly waitress in all my life (67 years) ---even when my daughter and I smiled and were warm and friendly, she was sarcastic and unhelpful. So, with a smile, I left a quarter tip. LOL .
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I was a food server for 20 years, and though everyone can have good days and bad days, I know that when I go out to eat I subconsciously watch how my fellow diners treat the server...
    Raboinstar

Answer by Raboinstar at 10:24 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• My sister's partner is a waitress, and my sister gets so agitated at the huge tips she leaves when they go out to eat. She says, "I know she feels for them, but a $20 tip for a $40 meal is a bit excessive!"
    EternalChild86

Answer by EternalChild86 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I have some pretty crappy servers in the past. I used to get treated like crap because before I met DH I would go out to eat alone. I've had many waitresses just LITERALLY drop the plate or drink on the table as they walked by to kiss ass of the people at the table with 7 or 8 people whom they'd be getting the BIG tip from. Fine, whatever, you're right, you're tip is gonna suck from me if I get treated that way. If I get upset with them for that kind of treatment does that make me a bad person?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I have to agree with you.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 10:38 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think that is probably true but I've had a few really rude servers at fine restaurants and when that happens, I quit being nice.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:41 PM on Sep. 27, 2009

• I think it's very true. The statement also applies to the way a person treats cashiers, store clerks, fast food workers, etc. Anyone who works in customer service gets a good idea of the true character of people around them.
    EmeraldsMommy

Answer by EmeraldsMommy at 11:14 PM on Sep. 27, 2009